Iphone is too much to learn for my mom, lol....what should I get then?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VeNoMiZeD, Sep 19, 2010.

1. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

So I tried to do the nice thing and get my mom an Iphone (3gs). Unfortunately its too much phone for her. I still need to add her on my family plan, which means I can get a subsidized phone. I have a Motorola RAZR that I will give her to use instead, but was wondering if it makes any sense to get an Iphone 4 for backup or to sell for profit? Or is there any other AT&T phones that are worth getting? I have an Iphone 4 already that I use. Thanks!

2. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Sorry, I couldn't follow your story that well. Your mom has an iPhone 4 but it's too complicated and you want to get her another phone that's good but not too complicated? If that's the case, go for a simple nokia or something. Sorry in advance if I totally missed the mark on your question.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

If she's fine with the razr, just let her use that. I think you can use her subsidize anytime, not just when you sign her up. Might as well wait for iphone 5 or droid 2 world edition, nothing else good right now and not much point of blowing another $200 yet.

4. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

You could make a tidy profit selling an i{hone 4 you bought subsidized, I'd do that

5. VeNoMiZeD thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, she will be more than happy with the RAZR. I figured since now that I'm signing her up and would be able to get a discounted phone I should take advantage of it.

6. Battlestar macrumors 6502

Can anyone remember when a cell phone was just used to make voice calls? It seems like it was just so long ago.

7. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

8. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

+1, there is nothing easier than this one. :D

9. Skika macrumors 68030

I honestly cant believe how an iPhone can be too much too learn. ITs the most simple to understand phone on the planet. I think the RAZR is much more complicated to understand with its many buttons and a tiny screen which shows little information on what your doing.

Maybe you should get her a mobile version of this

Attached Files:

10. historicus macrumors newbie

Lol. Buttons aren't complicated. They've been the preferred method of interaction with computer based devices since forever.

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah, the Nationwide ad guy has one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NationwideInsurance

12. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Not trying to trash your Mom but... My Mom is 54 and LOVES her iPhone. It took her a couple weeks to get used to it and a few sit down "training" sessions by me, but she eventually figured it out. Now she downloads music and apps to it all by herself and claims she cant live without her iPhone.

All it really takes is motivation for her to learn it. Find an app or something that will be a game changer, show her how to use it, and she'll be good to go.

13. number9 macrumors 6502

If she can't figure out an iPhone, she should stick with a standard feature-phone that most carriers give away or only charge $50 or less for with a new contract.

14. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

No offense to your mom, but the iPhone is probably one of the easiest devices to play with if she took the time to actually learn it. It took one year after I got the first iPhone to convince my wife to switch from her RAZR. She watched the 20-minute tutorial on Apple's website with Bob in glasses (remember that video?) and the rest was history.

15. elistan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I too don't understand how a RAZR can be considered easier to use than an iPhone. What phone did your mom have before? Sounds like she's never had a cellphone - so just get her a Jitterbug.
    http://www.jitterbug.com/

16. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

Do they make BIG BUTTON iphones yet? My grandma has a BIG BUTTON phone, and remote for the tv.

17. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Get a new mom. ;)

18. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

If you want to use phone, touch the button that says phone.

If you want to dial, dial on the keypad and press call.

I'm not saying you're mom is retarded, I'm just saying she's being a stubborn old goat.

19. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

You forgot to add:

20. Reefbone macrumors regular

It's Apple's or ATT's fault so keep returning the iPhone for a new iPhone until you get one she understands. =;)

21. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yeah, I'm through that too with my dad. He's had it for over a week now and still having trouble with it (simple stuff like having to tap the keyboard button. During a call to get the key pad to show up to input operator menu options, and taping a contact doesn't initiate a call, you then have to tap the number once in the contact card). I think it's the touch screen instead of buttons that messing him up, he had a blackjack with winmo before this and had no problems with it.

22. Liberty. macrumors 6502

Jailbreak your mom and install "Enhanced Phoneskills".

23. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

My mom loves her iPod touch and won't go anywhere without it. I think your mom may just be intimidated by it but once she's understood how to use it she'll love it.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

There are millions of people who don't get along well with touch phones, nor want to spend time learning one, or who even need a full smartphone for that matter.

My wife keeps trying to like them, and I try to set them up as foolproof as possible, but she really prefers all physical buttons that she can't accidentally trigger... or even have to look at.

And I fully understand. She's not a techie at all. It's pretty frustrating to accidentally hang up or get into a different screen or whatever.

I think that some phone manufacturer will make a ton of money if they go sideways retro and created a smartphone without a touchscreen, but with assignable buttons for email / weather / news / calendar alongside the screen and above the keyboard/pad. Does such a phone exist already?