iPhone isn't pushing email as fast as android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mmmtastybusch, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

Hey guys I'm wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong here- I have an iPhone 4s and a Motorola Droid Pro both activated right now. For some reason the iPhone receives emails later than the Droid, anywhere from 5 minutes to a half hour. The droid receives notification the instant my email account receives mail. "Fetch New Data" is set to push, is there anything else I'm missing?

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Are you doing this from a GMail account?
    GMail doesn't support push email to iPhones unless you set the GMail account up as a Microsoft Exchange account on your iPhone (there's plenty of tutorials out there).

Since your iPhone can't get the emails pushed, it just uses the regular fetch schedule, which is why it'll take longer for the iPhone to get the email.

3. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

We need more info.
    What email account?
    How do you have it configured?

4. kiantech macrumors regular

if you have gmail

if you have gmail, which I am going to assume you do. You do not want to use the built in gmail configuration because there will be no push notification.

Follow these steps from google: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Also you get contacts and calendar push with these settings!

5. mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

Yep it's gmail, I'm gonna give the above method a shot. Thanks guys!

6. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Cool. It should work beautifully.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. Always include details when asking email related questions like this.

The client (iPhone or Android device in this case) does not push. The server does. That's the definition of push.