iPhone/iTunes Marriage...How to back that up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fins831, Dec 12, 2011.

1. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Ok, I am running a 2009 MBP, and am going to upgrade to a SSD. I know firsthand that using a new OS will disrupt the itunes/iphone marriage. I was wondering since its a macbook, and snow leopard, that theres a way to back up the known connection so that when I plug my iphone into the new Hard drive OS....it won't say, this phone is synced with another computer and must be wiped...

Granted I know there is icloud to backup everything, but I am just looking to know how to do this for my own sake, because I am not as familiar in the OSX area as I am with windows...

Thanks

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Too bad you can't move the back up and then move it to the new hard drive or something. I am glad you posted this because I will be doing the same soon.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Crucial makes a data transfer kit for just this situation.

Problem there is, I don't think that they sell just the transfer kit.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You can't? Care to explain to me how this doesn't work? considering I've both:

Upgraded to SL (don't even get me started on requiering that for the iPhone 4)

and

Moved around the entire music library several times

while still having all my backups and settings intact for my phone and iTunes. It's totally possible and I'm not sure why people have such a hard time with it.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I said that thinking it wasn't possible, my apologies. I haven't tried it, if it works GREAT!! I'll keep this tread bookmarked for when I do this.

6. fins831 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so anyway to backup the connection, or I just have to save the backups?

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry, forgot that part...

You should backup anyway, but for what you're concerned with, make especially sure that you have ~/Library/Application Support/MobileDevices/Backup (or something to that effect, I'd google to make sure the location is correct). That's your iPhone backups. To be doubly sure, make sure that folder is in the right location on your new install, and then transfer the entire iTunes folder over.

8. fins831 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So when I put those backups in the proper place after new OS install, and log in to my account in itunes, all my purchased apps will show up...then I can restore using one of those backups, and everything should be the exact same way right? or am I missing a step

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, I kind of glossed over the actual steps, but that's what you generally need to do. It's way easier if you're restoring a full system backup because you don't actually have to move the files manually, but either way should work. Actual path is:

/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

of the backups. AND MAKE A BACKUP/SAVE before you upgrade. Seriously...just do it.

10. fins831 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just backed up my MBP with time machine, when I update to SSD and do a restore, will it also restore the iPhone to iTunes association?

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yup, that's the best way to do it, you're bascially just restoring your new OS to the last save point of your old one with all the files/apps/preferences in the same place. If it's an option, I would go with that or something like Carbon cloner.

12. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Use Time Machine, and restore your entire machine, backups, iTunes Library and all. Problem solved.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Or search/Google on migrating your iTunes library from once machine to another. I've done it (from PC to Mac even) and it's really not that big a deal. If you're not comfortable with the idea then definitely find some instructions and make sure you're clear on them.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

OS X has built in migration assistant. You can choose to transfer everything (recommended if you have room) or just your apps / music folder.

15. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Or that. It's really a matter of just moving the file and opening it up in iTunes.