iPhone+ large screen launch timing (+ not 6)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by batman75, Sep 20, 2013.

1. batman75, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

batman75 macrumors 6502

I am debating whether to early upgrade to 5S from 5. My concern is this:

Everyone here seems to assume a larger iPhone (iPhone+) won't come out for another 12 months.

However, iPad launch pattern suggests that you may want to launch screen size variation on an offset cycle to help keep your demand curve less lumpy. Having a sequence of phased launches helps bring people into the stores more often driving more revenue.

Given this, it would be logical for Apple to launch a 4.7-5.7" iPhone in the February-April timeframe, and then launch the new 4" models next October.

When I combine this with the press saying that Apple was testing large screens towards the end of the first quarter, and I'm left thinking the notion of a 12 month wait for a larger screen may not be right.

Any thoughts?

2. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I'm guessing no.

It would create issues with contracts and when they are eligble for upgrades. Apple fans would get mad because they just bought a new phone and all of a sudden there's an upgrade (like ipad 4). It would just be too much to handle. I think a yearly cycle is fine for now, especially because phones aren't changing that much anymore. It's basically camera and processor upgrades now. (With gimmicky stuff like Siri (still in beta, btw) and fingerprint to sell more).

3. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I see the issue of customer backlash, but it seems a little shortsighted to me.

The smartphone market has effectively been structured into 3 segments by volume leaders Samsung:
    1) Mini phones (typically 4")
    2) Regular phones (typically 4.5-5")
    3) Phablets (typically >5.5")

Some of you will find this shocking but mini phones only account for about 25% of the smartphone market which Apple totally dominates.

Sticking to a shrinking segment for another year because you are worried about customer backlash reminds me of how Lincoln made soft cars with bench seats to keep their loyal customers happy and in doing so became a bit player.