iPhone lock/sleep button trouble

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snowydog, Mar 2, 2013.

1. snowydog macrumors 6502

Hi all

Got my iPhone on launch day. The last week I've started having trouble with the lock/sleep button. It takes around 5-6 presses of the button to get my iPhone to lock/sleep

Anyone else having this trouble? Should I take it back to the Apple store and see what they say?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

That's definitely an issue that warrants a warranty replacement of the phone or repair by Apple.

Fairly common too, all it takes is a bit of dirt to get under the button.

Take it to the Genius bar at your local Apple store and they'll replace it for you most likely. Make sure you backup everything on the current device before you go to the store though so you can restore everything to the replacement.

3. snowydog thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - I've booked an appointment for Friday, however I'm going to be down there tonight - might try and get a sneaky look at it tonight. They don't do evening appointments after 6pm .... so I couldn't book for tonight.

I've never backed up my iPhone before (this is the first iPhone I've had) - is it straightforward? I'll have my Macbook with me tonight and Friday (if I don't get seen to tonight) so I could probably ask them to show me there and then.

:)

4. SuperShredder macrumors newbie

Backing up your phone can take a while depending on the state of your computer and the amount of content on your phone, photos, app data etc...

It's best to back it up before you arrive for your appointment and have the Genius verify its backed up correctly. That way you are on your way in just a few minutes. They will likely replace your phone.

Here is the Apple article on how to back up your device, either to your computer or to iCloud. You get 5GB of space with iCloud, so if you have app data or photo library that exceeds that you will need your computer (or purchase more space in iCloud).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

5. snowydog thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I just backed up there on iTunes - to the computer ... but I'm confused - it took literally less than 20 secs? :confused: Shouldn't it take longer?

I'll be taking my laptop along with me anyway, as I have work and I don't like to leave my laptop in the car - but as you say, I wanna back it up before I go ... they'll be ok to make sure it's backed up?

Also - when they replace my phone - will they wipe everything from the original in front of me so I know all my personal data is gone? I haven't had this experience at all so I've no idea?

6. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Same thing is happening to my launch day 5. Just started last week and it seems like its taking more and more presses to shut it off and then the screen will light back up again as if I had pressed it. Must be a faulty button. All the Apple stores around are booked up into next week so I might try calling Apple and seeing if they would send a replacement.

7. SuperShredder macrumors newbie

Mvallee - Apple will send you a replacement - but they will put a hold on your credit card for the full retail cost ($650 for a 16 GB iPhone 5) until they receive and verify your old phone. For some people this is more convenient. A Genius Bar reservation almost guarantees a swap on the spot, so it might be worth the wait for one.

Snowydog - They should be totally fine with verifying your backup. You can verify your own back up in iTunes. On a Mac computer, open iTunes, click iTunes in the top menu bar and then select preferences. There will be a devices tab that shows the dates and names of all back ups for iOS devices. On a Windows PC its almost the same but you click EDIT in the menu bar of iTunes and go to devices tab and it shows all your backups.

One thing you'll want to be sure to do is right click the name of you phone in iTunes and click transfer purchases, this makes sure all your apps and app data is also transferred to your computer. If you do not see the sidebar in iTunes since the update to iTunes 11, click View up top in the iTunes menu bar and select Show Sidebar. That will show your iTunes toolbar so you can right click the name of your phone to select transfer purchases.

Another thing you might want to do is transfer your photos into your computer as well. They are stored in your backed up usually, but its good to be sure. You do this with iPhoto on a Mac, or with the Camera transfer wizard that opens up when you connect your iPhone on a Windows PC. I know this seems like a lot, but you if do all these steps you will be sure to not use any data.

In most cases the Genius helping you will have you erase your phone before giving it to them. If not, just request it and they will show you how. (Settings>General>Reset>Erase all content and settings)

8. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

This seems like a pretty common problem on the 5. I've already had one replaced for it and this one is starting to go now too. I don't mind them replacing it now but once the one year is up, I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be up the creek.