iPhone lost with Find My Phone active

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tex-Twil, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I lost my iPhone but Find My Phone is active and I can see it on a address in my city. What is the best way to proceed ? Go to the address ? Send a message ? Call the policy ?

cheers

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

First, send a passcode Lock to the iPhone. Then, send it a message with a call-back number. If nothing happens within a certain amount of time (based on your preference), call the police and report the stolen iPhone (if you believe it is truly stolen) and give them the location.

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

it was not stolen. I forgot it on a train but someone found it. It's now in a house 50km away.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If u send it a message or lock it then the finder will be alerted.

Do not put yourself in jeopardy by going yourself.

Call the police to see what they can do.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If somebody has it, why do you think it is not stolen?

6. kevinbomb123 macrumors member

7. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

If I remote lock it, will Find My iPhone still locate the phone?

8. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Yes. Your phone is locked to the alleged person who picked up your device, but you would still be able to locate the phone so long as its connected to internet, Wifi or 3G.
    Even if the person managed to wipe your device, I THINK that once he foolishly activates Find My iPhone, you would be able to track the device again through the UDID.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Are you sure about that? That seems like a major flaw for people who sell their iPhones.

10. bobab8ey macrumors member

Dude - whatever you're gonna do, do it quick. Time is not your friend here. The fact that it still shows you a location with FMI is encouraging. If it's in the possession of the person who found it, they're probably not savy about wiping the phone or they would've done it by now. But the longer you wait, the better the chance that whoever found it (or bought it from the person who found it and quickly sold it), will wise up and do something about it so you never see it again.

Whatever you do, keep us in the loop! I'm curious to see how you make out! Good luck!

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If they turn it off, you're screwed, so as a previous poster said, whatever you do, do it quickly.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The parts in bold are inaccurate. A simple wipe will lose all tracking on the phone via find my iPhone. Carriers are still able to block the phone, but they won't track it for you. I do wish Apple would add a security feature where if the phone is remote locked it can not be restored without being unlocked first. Seems like a no brainer to me.

13. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

The police told me that I have to fill up some forms and report a lost phone. I told them that I know exactly where the phone is and that it would be good to react fast but they didn't want to help.

I went to the place alone and I've seen a taxi that I've took yesterday. I called the taxi company and they told me they will take care of it.

In parallel, I've got a call from a friend (1st contact in the favorities) telling me that a taxi driver called him to report the lost phone. He gave him my number and the taxi driver called me. I get the phone tomorrow back.

So it looks like this honest taxi driver was trying to contact someone even before I've sent the messages.

Funny story. He will get a nice reward.

14. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Nice! Find My iPhone saves the day yet again!

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Congrats. A happy ending amidst the slough of crappy ones!

16. buddgeez macrumors member

Well if its not stolen and someone else has it, what do you call that? I think stolen

17. softypolimer macrumors member

from the way he treat the phone, he must be an honest person to leave the phone stay on just like that. If he intended to steal it, he would turn it off and do the restore asap.

About a month ago, my teacher also got his phone stolen in a mini reunion party along with his bag where he only left in off in a private residence for 10 mins. It was turned off right a way, and there's no way we could use Find My phone or even give it a call.

I's rare for people who found and iPhone who actually wanted to return it. Give him a nice reward, dude

18. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

That's good. But keep it legal.

19. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

i lol'd...

Do tell us what happened TC. I'm genuinely curious.

20. bobab8ey macrumors member

I would call that found property. With something that valuable, I believe the finder still has an obligation to make a reasonable effort to find the rightful owner. But I think in a legal sense it's not quite the same as stolen. I could be wrong. Anybody with a legal background please feel free to correct me.

21. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

In the Uk if you hand a found item into lost property at a police station and that item is not collected within a timeframe then ownership moves to the finder.