Iphone Mail App Secure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cousinavi, Jan 17, 2012.

1. cousinavi macrumors newbie

Hi im new to iphones and have just ought my first 4s.

Can anyone tell me how secure the inbuilt Mail App is?

Is it more secure to log in to my hotmail acount using Safari or to use the Mail App?

Many thanks :)

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Assuming you're using the right settings (such as the iPhone's default setup for hotmail accounts), the the Mail app will use TLS encryption, which is just as secure as SSL in Safari. And realistically, with a hotmail account that's as secure as you're going to get even on a Blackberry.

4. cousinavi thread starter macrumors newbie

...hmmm which begs the question, is Gmail (googlemail?) more secure than Hotmail?

thank you for your replies

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Again, same amount of security.

One thing GMail does have over Hotmail is Google Authenticator, and 2-step verification. Activating this requires you to use a security token (which is an app you download on your iPhone or Android device) to login to web-based Google services. This way, even if your password is compromised, a hacker would still need physical access to your iPhone to launch the Authenticator app and get access to your account.

Of course, this doesn't work so well with the Mail app. But, you can set "application-specific" passwords for your account through Google, that can be activate and deactivated as needed for added security without having to use the token.