iPhone major issue and just out of warranty. Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maka344, Aug 26, 2011.

1. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

Hello guys I have an iPhone 4 which is out of warranty by 3 weeks, yesterday while on vacation I received a call and hen I tried to answer it nothing. It was deadly slient but the call counter was still running, I thought it was a network problem but same issue.

I then tried making a call on loud speaker which again didn't work, I reset the network settings and restarted the phone which didn't work.

I decided to leave it off for 2 hours and when I tried it again the ear piece and loud speaker worked but stopped again shortly afterwards.

When this problem is happening I can play music through the speakers no problem I cannot hear the caller and the caller cannot hear me.

I did load some apps on before leaving which messed my folders up but nothing major.

Please help?! I cannot reset my phone as my Air is at home. I think it could be software related as I can play music through the speakers regardless. The headphones also do not work for phone calls when the problem is present.

It sometimes starts working and others does not.

Thanks

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Have you tried a hard reset to factory settings?

3. maka344 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maka344

No because my Air is at home I'm on vacation and wouldn't be able to activate it.

When the problem happens I can't hear callers and they can't hear me on ear piece, loud speaker or through headphones

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Try getting a new sim if possible. Are you using international roaming?, it could be a network problem.

5. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

When you get home.. Take it to apple. They will replace it. They will give you the whole spill about its out of warranty blah blah blah. They suppose to charge you 200. Blah blah.. U get it for free... Their still replacing all iPhone 4's.. I guess because the new one isn't out yet.. I've gotten mines replaced 2x since being out of warranty..
    And I know some others as well who has gotten theirs replaced

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Not necessarily, Apple are very good with warranties but have the right to refuse service should they wish.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Go to the nearest carrier of your service & have them check it. There's no reason that you must go to an Apple store when it hasn't been diagnosed yet.

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Even tho your iPhone 4 is out of warranty you still have about 2 more months extra to do any warranty.

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

While that's technically true, I would be shocked if they didn't take care of it. I suppose if you went in there like an absolute jerk and really pissed them off they might tell you that you're hosed, but not likely.

Also, if you bought it with a credit card, many credit cards will extend the warranty by another year. Amex for example does that. Saved my butt a couple of times.

10. Merkie macrumors 68020

This is wat useless activation procedures result in. Before the iPhone, EVERY phone worked right out of the box. No need to activate a phone at all. "Activation" is a weird concept that I find hard to comprehend.

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Well with iCloud all iDevices will work out of the box without the needs of iTunes.

12. Merkie macrumors 68020

Just like my 15 year old Nokia did. Wow. Incredible. Magical. Amazing.

13. maka344 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maka344

Thanks for all the help, I have an appointment on Tuesday once back from vacation. It's a nightmare my sister is currently stranded in NYC and I'm unable to talk to her!

I'm hoping Apple will replace this for me, my warranty expired 10th July.

14. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Well your 15 year old Nokia is a dumb phone so I don't see why it wouldn't right? I think Companies that doing the activation process is all about security on who is using and activating the phone! I could be wrong tho, but that's how I see it.

15. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Right, let's say you didnt need a computer to activate, how would one restore?

I'm not restoring my phone unless I get all my important files back on my phone.

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't see how the iPhone is unable to function without that information. It has to be "activated" BEFORE using the iPhone. Why can't this wait until the phone has an active internet connection or the phone is synced?
    I have no idea what you're talking about. What has syncing and restoring got to do with activating?

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i'm not surprised... the OP wanted to know how to fix his issue and you go blabbing about how you need a computer to activate.

so, you said that he needs his computer to activate, which is true, let's say you didn't need a computer to activate, how would HE, the OP, restore his phone to perhaps fix this issue?

if you still don't understand after this post, then i feel sorry for you.