iPhone messages conprimised

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony4114, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Anthony4114, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

Anthony4114 macrumors newbie

Ok so my father and my mom have been having problems with each other and my father told her that he has someone emailing him all of her text messages and even proved it to her by showing her. She needs my help what can i do? Are they hacking imessage or her phone #? She is with AT&T and using an iPhone 5.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. Anthony4114 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would access to her att account actually give the person thats doing this access to all her text messages?

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

iMessage? Tell her to change her iTunes password. I would also go and change the password of the email account associated with her iTunes account as well.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Well is she logged into any other Apple device with her Apple ID? iMessages will go to ALL iOs devices that is connected to the Apple ID (assuming they did enable iMessage). Changing the Apple ID password will help this

6. Anthony4114 thread starter macrumors newbie

She is only logged in on her iPhone and i just know that he has someone he pays to get all her text messages sent to his email. I will change itunes account password and her email associated also her att account password.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes. It's very easy to get a full transcript of texts and phone calls from AT&T's web interface for managing ones account.

8. techspin macrumors 6502a

More importantly, is she cheating on him? Just kidding. You'll want to help or have her:

1) Update her firmware or reset all settings and restore from iTunes, just in case her phone has been compromised.

2) Reset her Apple ID password, AT&T account password and her e-mail account password for good measure.

3) Set or reset a passcode for her phone.

4) Punch your dad in the face (optional).

You can only view talk and message history (and NOT content) through the AT&T site. Good luck! :D

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Good idea about restoring the phone. If he jailbroken some how without her knowing, he could have installed something.

10. cynics macrumors G4

Are their phones in anyway tied to each other? Same ATT account? Same Apple ID? Was it SMS messages or iMessages (this is important).

Did she save the proof of this that was sent to her by your father? She needs too.

Its not unheard of for a P.I. to be paying off someone that works for ATT to get this information. However I wouldn't think they would be able to get iMessage's since thats data and on Apple servers.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can get full content of the texts (and even calls?) simply when logging into AT&T's account online?

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, only for previous billing cycles. It gives it to you in a big Excel document for all the lines on your account. The current billing cycle is available as well, but only in an itemized format.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

I've certainly seen the numbers that are involved being provided, but never the actual content itself of what was in the messages (and not sure how the content of calls would even be provided--all calls are being recorded and/or transcribed?).

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The calls are itemized, along with data usage. Only the texts are displayed in full content.

15. techspin macrumors 6502a

No

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

I've been trying to find some information about this, as it sounds interesting (and/or odd in a sense), but everything I've come across seems to point to only dates, times, numbers, and information of that sort being provided, and not the actual content.

A few AT&T employee responses to the same kind of question from last year seem to support that as well:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Data-Messa...and-read-my-deleted-texts-online/td-p/3760387

https://forums.att.com/t5/Online-Ac...messages-from-my-other-att-phone/td-p/3508237

Is there any information somewhere about being able to access the actual full content of text messages online easily?

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not that I know of. I just log into wireless.att.net or whatever it is and click around in the ever changing steaming heap of mulch that is AT&T's site until I find it. Haven't had to do it in a whole though.

18. techspin macrumors 6502a

Consider the implications of a phone carrier allowing access to the content of all text messages on their website, which any customer can access. Wishful thinking (maybe?) won't change the answer you've found already. :D

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

How is it any customer can access my text message content history? Only the account manager can access it for their own account and other numbers on their account. Say what you want about it not being possible, the 8.21MB Excel document from my October 2013 billing period says otherwise. Verizon allows this (once opted in), T-Mobile does on non-prepaid lines, Telus does as well (for a small fee charged to the account).

20. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

If she's cheating he should cancel her contract and trash her phone and send her to the homeless shelter for a month

21. techspin macrumors 6502a

I only said any customer can access the website, not read YOUR messages. If it is possible, can you login to your carrier's site right now and read your text messages? I'd hope not! I'm guessing you're referring to your text and call history.

22. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I can log into AT&T's site right now and after some looking through their awful interface find the complete content (sans media) of every text message that was sent and received through all lines on my account from the last 24 complete billing periods in monthly installments. Included in the Excel spreadsheet that it provides it upon, is a daily breakdown of data usage and call logs.

23. techspin macrumors 6502a

Please do and show me how, I'd love to know.

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

See post #17 for basic instructions.

25. techspin macrumors 6502a

I can ride a reanimated woolly mammoth to Scarlett Johansson's house and knock her up before you have another unfortunate bowel movement. Just don't ask me to prove it. :rolleyes: