Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calvert Hobbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Loudoun, VA
Hello..
Yesterday, I participated in this 5k race, Warrior Dash. At the last obstacle I had to hang down to the ground where there was mud. The mud SOAKED my iPhone. My iPhone was on and I totally forgot I had it in my pants. My pants had a zipper and I thought they were water-proof, but apparently, they were not. When I took the iPhone out of my pants, I noticed that my whole phone was wet and had traces of mud. When I attempted to call someone, the sound quality was HORRIBLE!! Currently, my iPhone has been sitting in rice since 5PM yesterday (Saturday). The current time here now is 9AM. I just want to know what I should do. I did turn it off, I hope that was a good idea! Please help....this phone is SUPER NEW and I do not want to pay to get if fixed!

Also, I did send text messages yesterday and the people did not get them.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Hello..
Yesterday, I participated in this 5k race, Warrior Dash. At the last obstacle I had to hang down to the ground where there was mud. The mud SOAKED my iPhone. My iPhone was on and I totally forgot I had it in my pants. My pants had a zipper and I thought they were water-proof, but apparently, they were not. When I took the iPhone out of my pants, I noticed that my whole phone was wet and had traces of mud. When I attempted to call someone, the sound quality was HORRIBLE!! Currently, my iPhone has been sitting in rice since 5PM yesterday (Saturday). The current time here now is 9AM. I just want to know what I should do. I did turn it off, I hope that was a good idea! Please help....this phone is SUPER NEW and I do not want to pay to get if fixed!

Also, I did send text messages yesterday and the people did not get them.

If you have applecare+ get a replacement. And for now put your phone in rice.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
You may be ok. Id let it dry out for another day or so, clean the mud out of any grills and mics, and give it a go. Was it submerged under water in ur pants or did it just get wet cause ur pants were wet? If its the latter, it just may be the mud causing the poor call quality.

Last edited:

Calvert Hobbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Loudoun, VA
Hello,

It was in my pants, so it really didn't like fall in a tub of water - it was just wet. I didn't put it in rice until like two hours after the fact. So idk. I hope it it fine. blueroom - you are rude. If you have nothing positive to say, then you really should not say it at all.

mizzouxc

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Hello,

It was in my pants, so it really didn't like fall in a tub of water - it was just wet. I didn't put it in rice until like two hours after the fact. So idk. I hope it it fine. blueroom - you are rude. If you have nothing positive to say, then you really should not say it at all.

I like how careless people are with $650+ of kit. Lesson learned. You don't need your phone EVERYWHERE you go.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Hello,

Just leave it in rice for a day. See if it works. If i doesn't i don't know what else to do. If i were you i would pay the $250 for a replacement and buy applecare+ with the replacement. How long have you had the iPhone 5 for?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Calvert Hobbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Loudoun, VA
I had my phone for like 3 months. Someone I know dropped the iPhone in the tub and they had no issues with it...so that is what I am hoping for!

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
While I wish you the best be warned that corrosion can and WILL happen if not due to any residual water left inside or components rusting.

Eventually you'll have to go to the Apple Store. I hope you get a nice employee (maybe impress them with the marathon story :D )

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
blueroom - you are rude. If you have nothing positive to say, then you really should not say it at all.

I'm sorry, I understand you are grieving over the possible loss of your beloved, but that is no reason to call people names. Are you in grade school? Grow up.

Blueroom was just "calling it like it is." At the end of the day, it was your fault that it got wet. I understand you feel like a victim, and I would too if the same thing happened to me. But if you knew there would be an obstacle course where there might be water/mud, you should have taken the necessary precautions.

In the meantime: If you have the correct tools and technological expertise, then go ahead and take your iPhone apart to clean it. That will better your chances of a fully functional iPhone.

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Hello,

Okay, how do I put it in a polite way.

You simply stated you didn't want to pay to repair something damaged by your misadventure sans insurance. Who do you think should pay for it?

You could try to sue the waterproof pants company.

I had my phone for like 3 months. Someone I know dropped the iPhone in the tub and they had no issues with it...so that is what I am hoping for!

And you still don't buy insurance on your phones?

For future reference, get AppleCare+ and up to two replacements will be fairly cheap. And / Or buy it with a credit card that offers damage replacement insurance.

Last edited:

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I'm pretty sure your phone is toast, and if it isn't, it will be soon due to corrosion, so I'd suggest just getting it replaced now instead of wasting your time with rice.

Protip: if you buy a high-end phone, be careful with it, and if you're incapable of being careful, get insurance. Apple made AppleCare+ for people just like you, it's a good tool so you should use it,

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Okay, how do I put it in a polite way.

You simply stated you didn't want to pay to repair something damaged by your misadventure sans insurance. Who do you think should pay for it?

You could try to sue the waterproof pants company.

And you still don't buy insurance on your phones?

For future reference, get AppleCare+ and up to two replacements will be fairly cheap. And / Or buy it with a credit card that offers damage replacement insurance.

The OP just stated that he didn't *want* to pay for a repair/replacement--who would? He didn't say he thought Apple should pay. Relax and take a deep breath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.