Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natron

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2002
I did a search for "iPhone", but didn't find any threads that covered what I've been thinking of.

I really doubt that it is an actual phone, and pretty much convinced it will be some kind of app (if it does come out). Now I'm not entirely sure of the technical implications, but someone correct me if I am mistaken.

What if iPhone is like a video confrencing/regular phone app. From what I understand, would it not be possible to accept phone calls through your computer? When the phone rings, an unobtrusive window would pop up (like iChat), and then it could automatically mute any music or other audio that is going on when you answer. You could talk through an external headset, or just use the built-in mics.

If you were printing something to video, or burning a CD or DVD, it could automatically disable it, so you wouldn't get interupted by a call.

If you just had a dial-up connection, this would prevent you from having to have 2 phone lines (one for internet, one for phone). You could even hook it up to your Airport base station and do it wirelessly.

It would be able to access phone numbers from Address Book, and would even have a Phone Book for finding phone numbers (like Sherlock or Watson). I find myself using Phonebooks less and less, relying more and more on Sherlock and Watson to find phone numbers.

Your Mac could also act as the answering machine. I always thought it would be nice to be able to have multiple messages on an answering machine (like away messages in iChat), without have to keep re-recording them. The messages could be stored on your Mac, for you to see later.

I could even take advantage of .Mac, so that you could be notified on your cell, or at work, if someone called. It would of course need Caller ID and being able to talk to multiple people at the same time would be really cool. Video conferencing would also be a cool feature.

Now, I have no idea if Apple is going to do something like this, or even whether this would be a good idea. It could be part of iChat, but there it is.

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find anything like it. Just my thoughts.

-Natron

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I like the idea of the iPhone app. Not trying to pick the idea apart, but I don't like the idea of the app shutting down programs, like the CD/DVD burner. Wouldn't this render the partially burned disc unuseable?:(

Natron

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2002
What I meant was that the burning session could disable the phone app, or block incoming calls while a video was exporting, a CD was burning, or whatever.

-Natron

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Would you really want to block all your incoming calls while you were exporting video or burning a disc? Programs like Toast allow you to burn while you do other tasks. I'd think that this app would be along the same lines (multi-task). I guess it all depends on how much cache/RAM it uses and conection speed. Talking over a dial-up connection is tough. and unfortunately a lot of us still use dial-up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.