iPhone Navigon Users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Obscurelight, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

I see that Navigon has many fans among the forums and I would like to ask a few questions. I'm on a iPhone 4S and using the latest Navigon 2.0. I bought both Navigon and TomTom a couple years ago but never used either and stuck with my GPS though. Don't ask :eek:. I'm planning to make my iPhone my GPS now because it gives me one less gadget to carry.

1. Is the traffic add on worth buying? I want to be able to reroute on top of knowing about the traffic jams. I have a garmin gps that supports traffic but it definitely fails to reroute me to roads that are less condensed. It detects the traffic but still sends me to that congested road.

2. What use is the Panorama 3D view? looks fancy, but is it actually useful?

3. What is a good mount that can be used and still works with the phone in cases? Not talking about otter box size but just similar to a bumper size give or take.

4. Is there a solution to connect my phone audio to my car speakers? For example when Navigon speaks it would be coming out from the speakers like SIRI when connected to bluetooth. Sort of like streaming all sound to my car including music, GPS directions, and SIRI. I have a Mercedes-Benz and integrated iPod cable if that helps. However, my iPod cable does not work with cases. :mad:

Thanks for your time!

2. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

1. Not sure about your location, in Ireland, not worth it.

2. Not worth it. It's nonsense

3. Arkon RWIPC is my favorite.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NNOye_J_1U

4. See #3.

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

1. traffic is worth it to me. it has rerouted me several times to beat traffic.

2. i have panorama 3d, its all for the aesthetic. it definitely isn't needed.

3. i would only use one mount with a car and iPhone, thats pro clip.

4. i would use your phone without a case if you can in your car. siri, navigon, and my music all works perfectly fine in my aftermarket stereo with just dock connector usb cable. it'll also work fine with aux connection.

good luck

4. Obscurelight thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks interesting I'd definitely look into that option thanks.

Unfortunately I'm in and out of my car many times a day and removing the case will be a huge hassle :(

5. DougNg macrumors member

Traffic updates are useful for me. I live and work in Maryland, and there always seems to be an accident.

Panorama 3D is worthless. It only lets you see where the hills are in the distance

I use a Luxa2 H5 windshield mount for my iPhone 4S in its aluminum bumper

And on the occasion I want to route the audio through my car speakers, I just use an audio cable. I might get a Bluetooth A2DP kit for the car though for convenience

6. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Speaking specifically on point 4 here:

Navigon will output audio via bluetooth, the dock, or the headphone jack (aux) just like anything else. So it will depend more on your car/stereo than anything. Personally, I just have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable (less than $5 at Radio Shack) that runs from my iPhone's headphone jack to an aux input in my car's stereo. Is it pretty? No. Does it get the job done? Sure. Then again I drive a '98 Ford Explorer with over 170k miles on it, so I don't really care if the wires for my navigation setup are pretty.

7. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I use the Belkin CarAudio Connect AUX with Bluetooth (allows commands, Siri, and music through car speakers).

For the mount I use the Kensington Quick Release Car Mount (which accommodates most cases).