Iphone News Embargo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sectime, Sep 11, 2012.

1. sectime macrumors 6502a

So how long do you think tech writers have had their new iPhones to write reviews? Something else to bitch about. Not Fair, Not Fair:eek:

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I doubt anyone has one. They usually are given their review units directly after the keynote, at which point the mad dash begins to see who can post their "first impressions", "hands on", and reviews.

3. sectime thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your kidding right, Do you ever watch Macbreak weekly. Watching Andy Ihnako shuck and talk to his stuffed dog when asked about upcoming Apple devices is pretty funny. I'm not talking about Blog Writers but the David Pogue's of the news world.

4. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Yeah, other than maybe Walt Mossberg or David Pogue, no one in any kind of media have seen any future iPhones, and even then they will probably only get it in their hands hours or a day before the event.

Super top-level app developers, maybe, but it'd be swaddled in all kinds of padding so they can't actually see what it's like.

5. CBlake82 macrumors member

I believe that after the phone is announced at the keynote, the demo units are distributed to the media outlets. Seeing as how there is typically a week or two delay between announcement and availability, reviewers spend that time writing up their thoughts. The embargo is lifted the day of the release typically, if I remember correctly from the past releases anyway.

6. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

He's playing most of the time. That being said, they get them on launch day usually, or they arrive a week before physical launch.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

There is no embargo. Tech writers aren't given the device before the keynote, if at all.

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I would expect some previews after the reveal tomorrow.

Apple doesn't give review units prior to reveal. Everyone waits the same.

9. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

They sure as hell do. Pogue, Mossberg, sometimes Ihnatko, and select others will get review units a week before launch day, never before announcement day.

EDIT: Reveal, launch...whatever.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

Is that not what I said / implied?

11. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Forgot that part?

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

Meaning some get it and some don't.

13. sectime thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unless you have direct knowledge of Apple's relationships with top writers, your posts should say "in my opinion " I doubt anybody here knows, we are just passing time.

14. takasugi macrumors regular

In the past, reviews for the new iPhone and iPad are released the day before they go on sale.

15. maclook macrumors 65816

If I recall correctly, there was an embargo for the iPad 3 reviews. I was something like a week after the event that Walt, Gruber, etc posted their reviews. Most of the initial impressions/videos/pictures came from the event. Apple only gives the units out to their homeboys so I'm sure they trust them to not to jump and post a review the day after the event.

My guess is that they get the review unit the day of. I don't see any reason at all for Apple to decide to give out units early.

16. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

The reviews should be up later next Wednesday night if it's like the past.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

One of the local operators was briefly promoting the iPhone 5 earlier today on its site but the page was quickly pulled. Interestingly, a thread about that page on a local forum has also vanished! :eek:

18. racer1441 macrumors 68000

No one has one. The earlier poster is right. The big guys get reviews tomorrow, for publishing next week.