[iPhone Noob]Need help with unlocking/jailbreaking iPhone 4 with iOS 5 and BB 1.59.00

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rak007, Oct 31, 2011.

1. rak007 macrumors 6502a

I just got an iPhone 4 off ebay and it is on iOS 5 with baseband preserved to 1.59.00. From what i know, this baseband on iPhone 4 is software unlockable.
    Can anyone guide me as to how should i proceed with unlocking and jailbreaking of the iPhone 4 ?
    Also what should be done first - Jailbreaking or Unlocking ??
    Requesting for some noob friendly links to tutorials (step by step) for the same and anything else i need to be aware about so that i do not goofup anything.
    I am bit scared about all this because this is my first stint with iPhone and i have never done all this.
    Please bear with me as this is my first post in this forum.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Google and iclarified are your friend or YouTube, stickies at the top of this forum

Or $30 via paypal.

3. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok. But i just want to ensure that i do not screw up the baseband when jailbreaking so that i do not loose the ability to do a software unlock.

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Piece of cake. Jailbreak with redsn0w then unlock with ultrasn0w. Finished in 3 minutes.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Make sure you understand that you will have a tethered jailbreak. If you don't know what this mean, your phone will hang at Apple logo and unable to use and you will come back here for more help.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Check Tinyumbrella, most likely it has shsh blobs for previous firmware versions.
    If you dont want to deal with a tethered JB on 5.0 and you have blobs you can go down to 4.3.3 using a custom ipsw and unlock untethered on that.
    Up to you.

7. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

^^I would appreciate if you can give me the exact links for the jailbreak and unlock. Sorry for bothering but i am new to iPhones so asking.
    Thanks in advance.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can follow this to JB on 5.0
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=15551

You can skip steps 1 and 2 since iOS 5 is already installed on your device and go straight to Step 3.
    Once done open cydia and install ultrasnow to unlock.
    Remember this is a tethered JB so every time you need to reboot you have to plug your phone to your computer, open redsnow, select Extras and click Just boot tethered right now.

9. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Now i am more confident about doing this. Thanks again.
    And yes i am aware that it is tethered jailbreak and semi-tethered is also available and i hope the untethered JB is out soon.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

11. WRXface macrumors regular

just to let you know, your iPhone is way more valuable than any other iPhone 4 just because of the baseband you have

12. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Couple of more noob queries, (i am yet to JB my iPhone)

1. I found that there are various versions of Redsn0w, what is the difference between these and what is it that a version X might have as against X-1, or should i just pickup the latest version and get along with jailbreaking ?

2. In the redsn0w tutorial, it involves connecting the phone to pc and such things. Is it necessary for me to install iTunes in my PC before i do the jailbreaking ? Please be informed that my iPhone already has iOS 5 and hence i will be not be installing the (custom ??) firmware, just doing the jailbreak.

Sorry for bothering. :eek:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, every different version or redsnow works for different firmware versions. You cant just use any redsnow.
    2. Yes you will need to have the latest itunes installed on the computer you will use redsnow cause it will need the correct drivers in order to JB and do the rest to the phone.

14. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok so how i do i 100% make sure what redsn0W version do i need ?
    Mine is a iOS5 Baseband 1.59.00 iPhone 4.

15. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

the link told you what version to download.

16. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok got it.

Btw is there a known problem with iOS 5 and baseband 1.59.00 and ultrasn0w ??
    Something known as 1 signal bar issue or any other problem ?