iPhone noob on a budget, NYC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roboboticus, Sep 20, 2013.

1. roboboticus macrumors newbie

I'm studying web-development in nyc, and need to get a smartphone (I'm still using a flip-phone :p ). I'm on a tight budget, considering the iPhone 5c, and trying to figure out what carrier I should go with.

My priorities are:
    1. call-reception (lack of dropped calls)
    2. price
    3. data
    4. minutes (I'm not a big phone-talker)

I don't make many calls, but need usable reception, especially if I'm tied to a 2-year contract. I don't plan on streaming music/video or using lots of data, nor do I need lots of storage (I'm thinking 16GB should be plenty). I just need a working phone to get familiar with iOS.

Any advice to steer me in the right direction would be well appreciated :)

2. BMNEUR macrumors member

BMNEUR

Well, a good start would be finding out what network you want it on.

3. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

I think you answered all your questions. Get a 16GB 5c and you can pick the color. As for a plan, just get the cheapest one. I am in NYC and have no problems with Verizon reception.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

<judgmental judy> On a budget, needs a smartphone, wants an iPhone ... doesn't compute.</judgmental judy>

I think NYC does well with most carriers. I would buy the cheapest smart phone available and use the cheapest plan you can get your hands on. That may mean you don't get an iPhone though but if dead set, get an iPhone 5.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How is the reception on your current phone? If you are happy with it, then it will most likely be good on an iPhone. If you are not happy with it, talk to your friends and see what they use and if they are happy with it. The 5C is pretty inexpensive at $99 for 16GB.

6. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

Personally for me on Verizon, I don't get really good signal in the city, especially in SoHo and Times Sqaure.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I can't agree here. I have used many phones that have had better reception than my iPhone.

Serious? That is odd. I would have thought differently.

8. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

Right? It's so odd - Sometimes i'll have no service, then suddenly 5 bars of LTE except it doesn't load anything. :eek:

9. roboboticus thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on Verizon right now, but it's a prepaid, and I probably pay about $30/mo with my usage. Verizon's cheapest iPhone option is $80/mo (unlimited talk/text and 500mb data). For a sec I thought it was $40/mo, but that's just per line, the service is another $40 on top of that.

That leaves me with Sprint or AT&T, so I'll have to ask people how their coverage is here. I had AT&T in upstate NY a couple years ago and it was useless.