Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Hi All,

Hope I've post this message on the right area of this forum. This is a Apple to Windows issues here.

Moral of story, if lighting port lead is damaged, don't use, throw away!

I tried to use a damaged Lead with new iphone se and my windows 10 laptop. The laptop went "bing" on and off a few times, then refused to do anymore after that with just this phone.

Since then my new iphone is not recognised by the laptop on just that usb port. The laptop usb port works ok. It is the new iphone not connecting with the laptop. (Possibly a "safety" feature of the phone ios or laptop windows 10?)

The reason I say it is just the new iphone with the issue with just that one USB port is:

1. I have since then connected my old iphone to that same laptop port - the old iphone connects fine

2. I have since then connected a USB memory stick to that same USB port - connects fine.

3. I have since then connected my NEW iphone to another USB port on the laptop - The phone connects fine with another USB port on the same laptop!

How do I fix this?

1. I've tried restarting the laptop and Iphone. unfortunately, I still have the same problem.

2. It is a "problem" with the new iphone.
Would a Hard reset of th phone be something to try?
I've heard that doing a Hard reset is not a great thing to do. Last resort, as it can cause other issues.

2.1. iphone hard resets
- What is the safest way? Should I restart the iphone, then straight away do a hard reset?

3. It is a "problem" with laptop?
3.1. Can "delete" the memory on that USB connector?
3.2 Any other Windows 10 device manger tricks?

4. What other options are there?

Hope you can advise.

Regards
Martin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.