iPhone not detecting friend on iMessage

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Hi all,

So I haven't had a problem in the past on my iPhone 4, but today when I was trying to message a few friends who have iPhone's/iMessage, it was showing as a text. It didn't switch to iMessage after any amount of time/didn't detect they are on iMessage.
I had to send them a text, their reply came as an iMessage, then I could iMessage them.
Anybody else experiencing this? Is there something I can do to fix this? I don't want to text the person first if they are overseas.

Thanks!

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Have the person text you and see if iMessage works. Ask the friend if he/she has iMessage enabled, and perhaps walk him/her through the process :)

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Have the person text you and see if iMessage works. Ask the friend if he/she has iMessage enabled, and perhaps walk him/her through the process :)
They do, because their reply comes as an iMessage and from then on we can iMessage. It is the initial message I have to send as a text...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They most likely don't have iMessages enabled on their end. Ask them to do that.

----------

They do, because their reply comes as an iMessage and from then on we can iMessage. It is the initial message I have to send as a text...
Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I've had that happen, but the initial text eventually turns blue later on. Normal behavior I guess.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
They most likely don't have iMessages enabled on their end. Ask them to do that.

----------

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I've had that happen, but the initial text eventually turns blue later on. Normal behavior I guess.
Really? Mine didn't turn blue.
Maybe I will reset my phone or something... Thanks, just found it weird and wondering if anyone else experienced it.