iPhone not detecting friend on iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nidserz, Sep 27, 2012.

1. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Hi all,

So I haven't had a problem in the past on my iPhone 4, but today when I was trying to message a few friends who have iPhone's/iMessage, it was showing as a text. It didn't switch to iMessage after any amount of time/didn't detect they are on iMessage.
    I had to send them a text, their reply came as an iMessage, then I could iMessage them.
    Anybody else experiencing this? Is there something I can do to fix this? I don't want to text the person first if they are overseas.

Thanks!

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Have the person text you and see if iMessage works. Ask the friend if he/she has iMessage enabled, and perhaps walk him/her through the process :)

3. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

They do, because their reply comes as an iMessage and from then on we can iMessage. It is the initial message I have to send as a text...

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They most likely don't have iMessages enabled on their end. Ask them to do that.

----------

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I've had that happen, but the initial text eventually turns blue later on. Normal behavior I guess.

5. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Really? Mine didn't turn blue.
    Maybe I will reset my phone or something... Thanks, just found it weird and wondering if anyone else experienced it.