iPhone --> Note iii Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kram1975, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Kram1975 macrumors member

I have a few questions that I'm not tech savvy enough to answer and was hoping some others might know, to help me make a final decision on whether to move to Note iii over iPhone 5S.

1: Can you send or receive group messaging?

2: Can I still use iTunes? All of my 700 gigs of music are formatted on an external mac compatible drive. I am not sure if there are any challenges from switching phones and mp3 formatting.

3: Is there any way to Airplay to my apple tv from a Note iii?

I fully realize some of these questions may seem dumb but I just don't know the answers. Thanks in advance if you can help me out.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

1. You can but it doesn't work as well as iMessage.

2. There are programs that let you manage your music on your phone with iTunes. A quick google search can help you with this.

3. No.

You're better off putting this on an Android forum.

3. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

Yes to all three. However, I can't validate the quality/consistency of the applications used for #2/3. I would post this in the Alternatives to iOS subforum as you'd likely find more users in your situation.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Group messaging is far inferior on Android even with the third party apps that allow it. It was one of the things that annoyed me about it.

5. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

How so? My work has multiple group messages that I'm part of and a few of the people do not have iPhones so they are all sent as texts. Seems to work fine for us.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

With my S4, when sending group messages to iPhones, the replies would all come in as separate texts.

With the iPhone, replies to group messages all come in in one thread no matter what.

7. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

So its just the character limit then, not a huge deal and no reason to not buy a phone. People make it sound like it's some huge hassle that makes owning another phone not even worth it.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Nothing to do with the character limit. If I have an android and I send a text to 3 iPhones, the replies for those 3 people will come in as 3 separate replies regardless of character count.

It's pretty annoying when you're used to all the replies to a group message coming in in one thread.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are you sure they are somehow being sent as an actual group message rather than the same text separately to 3 different phones (which would make each reply separate and individual)?

10. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

1. Yes, group texts are sent as MMS just like on Android and count as a single MMS when sent. In iOS you need to make sure it's on in the settings.

2. Yes, you can use iTunes for your mp3 music and mp4 videos. Just know that iTunes works differently than organized folders/directories. It's one of those, don't care, just dump it in and sort it out later type of apps.

3. You can AirPlay music and video but won't be able to AirPlay mirror by using a 3rd party app for Android on the Note III.

If you're using an Apple ecosystem, it's best to just buy Apple gear. if you're using a Google ecosystem, it's best to just buy Android and Chrome gear. As an Apple user, I still think its better integrated and less tinkering on Apple based gear for things to work correctly. If you're mixing ecosystems, you'll probably not be so happy and have lots of workarounds.

11. Kram1975 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much. I have to say that I'm very nervous to leave iPhone bc I don't dislike iPhone I just want a better battery and screen size. I'm 6'5" and have massive hands so I am a different customer than the avg guy.

Seems like there is at least a work around for every concern I have. If Apple were to announce a 20-30% battery increase I'll likely stay with iPhone. But this battery rumored on the Note iii sounds like it will last all day with very heavy use. That's very tempting.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

He's right. Android does not natively support group messaging. You can send a group message to several people but it is sent as separate MMS to each user and replies come back individually rather than in one thread like on the iPhone. Even windows phone and blackberry have the capability so I'm not sure why Google hasn't added native support for it to Android. I send a lot of group messages to friends so it was a major annoyance to me.

I found third party apps like GOSMS that could do it but sometimes it would still send multiple MMS to each person instead of proper group replies.

13. Kram1975 thread starter macrumors member

Oh wow. That's a huge deal bc me and my friends, family and coworkers use this all the time. Prob 50% of my texts are group texts. Like this could be a deal killer for me. Crap! can someone else confirm this is the case? not that I don't trust you but maybe there has been an update in the latest android software?

14. lousada macrumors newbie

Can't answer #2 & #3 but for group messaging it really depends on what is the most used in your country/circle of friends/whatever.

In my country everyone uses Whatsapp so iMessage is pretty irrelevant but it's not the same everywhere.