Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I started my iPhone 5 as a brand new phone and want the notes from my previous phone to sync over to my iPhone 5 from my 4S. Is there a way to turn the notes that arent set for icloud to transfer over?

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
No, there isn't really. I was in the Apple store with my 4S two weeks ago for well over an hour as we tried to figure it out. We had my MacBook, my email addresses, my 4S, and my 3GS trying to get them to iCloud so I could have them on my 3GS while I sold my 4S. I ended up manually cutting and pasting about 150 of my notes into new notes with iCloud ON on my 4S, therefore they ended up showing up on my 3GS and iPad. It was a pain in the ass.

Make sure iCloud is on and cut the note so it disappears then add a new note and paste it. This deletes the original one so you don't have to scroll all the way down to find it again and delete it. The problem I had with doing that was that I wanted the dates and times of my notes too, so I had to manually write those in the new iCloud notes.

Hope you understand what I'm saying with all that because it ended up working out for me as I now have all my notes in iCloud and on my iPhone 5 now, iPad, old 3GS, and iCloud online.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
No, there isn't really. I was in the Apple store with my 4S two weeks ago for well over an hour as we tried to figure it out. We had my MacBook, my email addresses, my 4S, and my 3GS trying to get them to iCloud so I could have them on my 3GS while I sold my 4S. I ended up manually cutting and pasting about 150 of my notes into new notes with iCloud ON on my 4S, therefore they ended up showing up on my 3GS and iPad. It was a pain in the ass.

Make sure iCloud is on and cut the note so it disappears then add a new note and paste it. This deletes the original one so you don't have to scroll all the way down to find it again and delete it. The problem I had with doing that was that I wanted the dates and times of my notes too, so I had to manually write those in the new iCloud notes.

Hope you understand what I'm saying with all that because it ended up working out for me as I now have all my notes in iCloud and on my iPhone 5 now, iPad, old 3GS, and iCloud online.

You said that was several weeks ago and were likely using iOS5. I wonder if it is now possible with iOS6.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
the only way i found was copy+paste as well. fortunately i only had less than a dozen that weren't on iCloud already.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
You said that was several weeks ago and were likely using iOS5. I wonder if it is now possible with iOS6.

Maybe, but I'm in iTunes now with my phone and I don't really see anything changed. I had two geniuses trying to figure it out and they both were admittedly stumped and annoyed by it.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Maybe, but I'm in iTunes now with my phone and I don't really see anything changed. I had two geniuses trying to figure it out and they both were admittedly stumped and annoyed by it.

That's unfortunate. Seems like a such simple feature to not have.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
That's unfortunate. Seems like a such simple feature to not have.

We all agreed on that at the store. Notes is one of my most used apps. I have so much stored in there since I got the 3G in 2009. Ranging from wifi passwords to drunken moments I want [need?] to remember.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
After trying for awhile i just copied them into the "iCloud" section of notes. I cant believe there isn't a simple "send to iCloud".

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
May be a bit off topic but...

I use Evernote so I am not aware of this problem. Other than the lack of Siri input, I find Evernote to be a much more powerful product which suits my needs better than Notes.

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
I started my iPhone 5 as a brand new phone and want the notes from my previous phone to sync over to my iPhone 5 from my 4S. Is there a way to turn the notes that arent set for icloud to transfer over?
This just added to my iPhone5 frustration. I lost all my notes. As I handed my 4S to the Verizon rep I did the delete all features being assured the cloud had covered by butt. It didn't and I have no idea why. I want to go back to the old ways where you got your phone from FedEx and plugged it into your Apple computer and presto...everything worked and nothing was lost.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
This just added to my iPhone5 frustration. I lost all my notes. As I handed my 4S to the Verizon rep I did the delete all features being assured the cloud had covered by butt. It didn't and I have no idea why. I want to go back to the old ways where you got your phone from FedEx and plugged it into your Apple computer and presto...everything worked and nothing was lost.

Perhaps your old iTunes sync has them somewhere? Not sure how you'd get JUST the notes off iTunes but I know it used to back them up for you pre-cloud.

GL!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.