iPhone Number Portability: Can I transfer # from Dad's VZW plan to my AT&T plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JTTech, Jun 5, 2010.

1. JTTech macrumors member

JTTech

I've been on a Verizon family plan with my parents for a good 8 years now. But at 25, it is finally time to branch out! (don't worry, I send them a check each month for my share)

I'll be signing up for a new contract with AT&T the day that the iPhone 4GHD3D comes out, and I want to keep my same phone #.

Will there be any issues with transferring my current Verizon cell phone number over to my new iPhone?

I ask b/c the Verizon plan is in my Dad's name, and the soon-to-be AT&T plan will be in my name.

Anyone ever been in this scenario before?

2. elephunkman macrumors 65816

You probably need your Dad with you in that case for the porting of the number to your account.

3. bwlucas macrumors member

4. JTTech thread starter macrumors member

JTTech

This is why I'm in a pickle...

I live in DC, and my Dad lives in Boston. Perhaps I can conference call him in, or have him mail me one of his recent Verizon bills to bring into the store?

I'm guessing that he needs to sign off on something at some point... otherwise we'd all be taking each other's numbers on a whim.

5. JTTech thread starter macrumors member

JTTech

Did you have to bring in any documentation to do it?

6. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Sorry, no answer to your question, but just had to say I found this hilarious.

7. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Did this a while ago also. All you should need is the last 4 digits of your dads social (assuming hes the bill holder for VZ) and the account password for the vz account and your golden.

8. schwell macrumors regular

I think you will also need his Verizon billing account number.

9. elephunkman macrumors 65816

That too. But, I would suggest going into an AT&T store and talk with one of the reps about your situation, then have him notate your account so that when you come in next time, they will see the notes and have proof so you won't run into problems.

10. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I used to work for verizon, assuming the OP is a "authorized user" on the account usually isnt needed for a port but i would do it anyway in case ID is asked for. For a port att will handle everything the only thing the op will need is the account number (missed that before my mistake) last 4 of social and account password. Att will handle the rest.

11. manjaap macrumors member

I switched from verizon to the att for the iphone. All you need to have is the billing zip code, account number, and billing password for the verizon account. Once you have that, you are set.