iPhone on 5GHz network learns 2.4GHz network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gmanist1000, Dec 29, 2013.

1. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Every so often, my iPhone joins my 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network, even though I've never entreated the password for it. I keep my phone on the 5GHz network.

They have similar names Home Network & Home Network (5GHz). Could this be causing the issue?

It just seems weird to me that my phone can automatically join a network that I've never entered the password for.

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

If they have the same SSID, then it would basically join whatever it sees first.

But if it is SSID (2.4) versus SSID (5), then that's just weird. They have distinct SSIDs.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I, too, have Home WiFi (2.4GHz) and Home WiFi (5GHz). However, I think I must've entered the passwords for both at some stage.

Is there a way to select a default one? When I'm in range of the 5GHz, my iPad and phone often stay connected to the 2.4GHz. I can't forget the 2.4 entirely as it covers some parts of my house which the 5GHz doesn't.

4. gmanist1000 thread starter macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

No there isn't, I wish there was. I actually submitted an improvement request to Apple's website for that exact feature. http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

5. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

It will choose whichever has stronger signal.

You either:

Did enter the password for both.

The ssid are the same.

Or you are using and apple AirPort Extreme