iPhone on AT&T - How many iPhones can I buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dimi94941, Apr 17, 2011.

1. dimi94941 macrumors regular

OK, I am from Europe and I am coming to study in US in three weeks. I already have a factory unlocked iPhone 3GS but I wanna know some stuff. I looked through the internet and I haven't been able to find what I need.

How many iPhones can I buy at AT&T? I would be the individual, not family package, because I will have only 1 number, but I would like to buy an extra iPhone for my brother (in Europe) as a gift for 199$ and not 599$ and that's why I wanna know how many iPhones can I buy?

I also want to know, when I buy iPhone 5 with a plan, and then next year iPhone 6 comes along, and I will be making the upgrade, what happens with my year old iPhone 5? Do I keep it but must "unlock it through jailbreak" to use it, or do I have to return it to AT&T?

Any answer will be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

3. blunti, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

blunti macrumors 6502a

first of all

-there is no iphone5
    -so that's why it's pointless to even talk about an iphone6

secondly

-you cannot purchase an iphone without a contract.

To sign-up you need :

-social security number
    -valid US ID
    -must be a permanent resident

4. mike5411 macrumors regular

Also the iPhones in the US are not factory unlocked.

5. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

This is incorrect. First, you need to understand that to buy an iPhone for the subsidized price of $199, you will need to sign a two year contract with AT&T. Now since you're not from here, you can still get it for that price if you can take in some sort of proof that you're studying in the US (the I-20 document in most cases). Also, since you're not from here and new to AT&T, you will also need to put down a deposit of approximately $500 which you will get back at the 6 month or 1 year point (in the form of a mail-in rebate). Once you're an established AT&T customer, the only way you can get another iphone at the subsidized price is by adding a line to your account which would subsequently mean another two year contract.

Of course, in this case, I would personally think purchasing the second phone at retail price and getting it unlocked is the better deal. It is a hefty upfront cost, but beats having to be in a second contract for no reason.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Since there is no iPhone 5 yet, you'll have to buy a 4 or 3GS. You can buy as many iPhones for $199 as you want, if you sign a new contract for each and every phone. If you don't want to be obliged to pay a phone bill for 2 years, then you need to buy it for $599. To break the contract, you need to pay $350 per line.

iPhones in the US are locked to AT&T, so he won't be able to use it.

7. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Don't listen to these guys I have 2 iPhone 5's left for sale. :D

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'll take them:D

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

drive to Canada when you get to the US ... we have unlocked iPhones

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

just buy your brothers' phone in Europe where you live. Less hassle and similar quantity of money for a real unlocked phone. :cool:

11. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

You guys didn't understand me, I didn't think you will take me for so stupid. Of course I know there is no iPhone 5, it will come with a delay and not in June as every year, but we can be sure it WILL come out sooner or later and that's why I was asking hypothetically.

Well, of course I have my I-20 and F-1 student visa and I will get something too when I come in the US airport, so can I make a 2 year contract?

If I can, I will be able to buy an iPhone 5 for subsized price WHEN IT COME. But I won't be able to buy one for my brother, only if I make another contract to pay extra 40$ a month, right?

And yes, I know they are unlocked, that's why I believe I mentioned the unlock that the Jailbreak community makes.

And one more question. :)

So, when I make a two year contract, and I have an iPhone 5 for a year and then comes iPhone 6 (hypothetically-like it happened every year since original iPhone), that leaves me 1 year left of my contract, so will I be able to change the phone to iPhone 6? Because I am hearing something about upgrading you guys can make in AT&T. And if so, do I then keep my old 1 year old iPhone or do I have to return it?

I do realize it's a lot lf question but this is the best for with the best users and I hope you guys answer me my questions. :D

12. SirStrumalot, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

Yup, like I said before, you will need to take your documents (I-20, passport copy) into an AT&T store, and they will allow you to buy the phone at the subsidized cost with a two year contract. However, as I mentioned before, you will have to put down a deposit of approximately $500 which you will get back after 6-12 months (this is because you do not have an SSN). Once you've been with AT&T for a year, you will not have to put down a deposit for any future purchases.

You will be able to buy your brother an iPhone at the subsidized price if you add another contract, however, an iPhone contract will run you far more than $40. The plans start at a minimum of ~$80.

Anything I'm saying here applies to the iPhone 4 and hypothetically to any future iPhone unless they suddenly change policies.

To answer your question about the upgrade, if a new iPhone comes out a year after you signed the contract, you *may* be eligible for an early upgrade (this is more unlikely after just a year though). If not, you can still pay the ETF (Early Termination Fee) and purchase a new one. The ETF at the moment is $375 minus $10 for every month you are under contract. In both cases, you do not have to return the older phone.

I hope that helped.

13. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, I have all the information now. And yes, I checked, and I will have to pay around 80$ monthly. :)

Just out of curiosity, did I check right, or does Verizon offer minimum individual plan for 40$ a month for iPhone 4 plan, that is a minimum plan of course? :)

14. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

The $40 you're referring to is for 450 minutes (talk time) if I'm not mistaken; that is the same on AT&T as well. With an iphone, you are required to get a data plan as well and factor in texting too. Eitherway, you're looking at a minimum of about $80.

However, keep in mind that the Verizon iPhone is a CDMA phone and it wont work in the majority of Europe (which is GSM).

15. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You could feasibly get the Verizon phone for $40, $9.99 as a second line on a family share plan and $29.99 for the data plan for the phone.

Keep in mind though the Verizon phone is CDMA and not GSM, so it'll be nothing more than a paperweight in most places outside the US.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yes, you could do that BUT, if you do an early upgrade after a year (usually pay higher price ~$100 more; if you spend a lot of money monthly (more than $100) then you might get the early upgrade for free) . Also, by doing an early upgrade after a year your contract restarts again for two years from the time you get the newer phone and ETF's are expensive to get out of contract. You get to keep all phones.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can buy up to 99 iphones, anything past 100 you will have to bring someone else with ya:)