iPhone on AT&T in Austin, TX

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by madsci954, Aug 22, 2012.

1. madsci954 macrumors 68030

We have an iPhone 4S on Verizon in Austin, TX. But reception is very poor all over the city. In most cases, we only get 2-3 bars and other times, there is no service at all. We were thinking of canceling the line, sell the 4S, and get the new iPhone on AT&T. I was just wondering if anyone here knows if AT&T is better in Austin then Verizon is.

2. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I have had an iPhone on AT&T in Austin for 3 years, and I've never really had many problems. My signal always seems to be pretty strong, but I do spend most of my time at or around the UT campus.

My reception does (or at least used to) tend to suffer during home football games, and I suspect it has to do with the large amount of people using their phones at the same time and taxing the same tower. But if you're not close to the football stadium during the games, I don't think you'll have any trouble. Other than that I don't really have any complaints.

3. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

Could you elaborate on where in Austin you are located when Verizon does not work well? Downtown? UT Campus? Lake? South Congress? Just indoors, or outdoors too?

As much detail as you can would be helpful, I may be moving to Austin.

4. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Have you checked coverage with a friend who has AT&T? I mean go some place where Verizon coverage is bad and check signal on both phones.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

While I don't live in Austin (unfortunately), I do spend some time in the area.
    I've noticed, with AT&T, that downtown is pretty good. Nothing bad and seemingly a lot of bandwidth. However during games, not so much. Just too many people saturating the local towers.
    On friday and Saturday evenings, partying on 6th you'll notice slow downs as well.

Out on Lake Travis, it depends on where you're at. Some spots are great, some are rather meh.

Up north and west of downtown, always had good reception.

6. emuyshondt macrumors member

I live in NW Austin, staying mainly between the Arboretum, north to Cedar Park and Leander, and going down Loop 1 and 360 to the SW. I have an iPhone 4S (had a 3GS before that) with AT&T and have never had any signal strength problems. Right now I have full bars, and that is how it is most of the time. I've been with AT&T for perhaps 15 years in this area.

Make sure you are not having an issue with your particular phone, though. See if someone else with a Verizon phone also gets poor reception in the same spot you are.