Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
I put my iphone 4 on ebay , 5 minutes later it sold , the person who bought it joined today same day and has no rating, i tried sending a message to him this morning and got no reply

I think this is one of those fake accounts like an automated bot, im not sure the correct name, but some forums there are bots who make threads and such

Is that possible on ebay?

Im only thinking this is not a real person because less then 5 minutes after listing the iphone it sold at my max asking price & this person joined today

I called ebay and they said the best thing to do is wait 4 days then file a report, but i dont want to wait as is obvious to me this is a fake account

So i have to wait one week,file the report , then wait another week ?

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
That is why you should always check immediate payment required.

As it is now, you've entered into a contract, they have several days to pay... if after 72 hours they do not, you can file a claim, this will force the issue, they will either have to pay you (as moderated by ebay) or you will be allowed to relist for free and the sales fees reversed.

I've never heard of ebay bots, creating an account now requires too many forms of verification, doesn't make sense.

My guess would be someone wanted your phone, so they registered to buy it and are now waiting for paypal confirmation to clear so they can pay.

Be patient.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
That is why you should always check immediate payment required.

As it is now, you've entered into a contract, they have several days to pay... if after 72 hours they do not, you can file a claim, this will force the issue, they will either have to pay you (as moderated by ebay) or you will be allowed to relist for free and the sales fees reversed.

I've never heard of ebay bots, creating an account now requires too many forms of verification, doesn't make sense.

My guess would be someone wanted your phone, so they registered to buy it and are now waiting for paypal confirmation to clear so they can pay.

Be patient.

I didnt see that immediate payment option , i listed the item from my ipad , maybe thats why

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
You are covered by ebay & paypal you could wait until you get the money then send it off.

StevenT42

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I sold two iPhones via eBay in 2010, and one of the phones went to a scam artist who filed a claim saying that the charge was not authorized on his credit card. Of course, PayPal sided with the buyer and put a hold on my money, meanwhile I was out a phone and the money.

What saved me was that I sent to the PayPal verified address, and shipped UPS to get a signature on delivery. All I had to provide was a photo of the tracking number paperwork, and PayPal did the rest. They eventually released the money to my PayPal account. I assume the guy got my old iPhone, since he signed for it.

Be careful with eBay and PayPal. The seller is at a distinct disadvantage.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Why didn't you just list it on the market place ? Seems like a good place to sell I sold my sprint 4s on there and it was great.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Why didn't you just list it on the market place ? Seems like a good place to sell I sold my sprint 4s on there and it was great.

You mean amazon ? I never done that

I was planning on selling my ipad on ebay too but now i might go the craigslist route

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Ipad 2 16gb wifi black

With apple care [2 years warranty i think] and still under one year warranty from apple

xRYD3Rx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
I've been using eBay for about 4years now.
Don't worry sometimes people that don't use eBay are searching to buy an item on eBay to buy it off you and also when it's time to pay they makes an eBay account. Wait 4days if he does no pay open an "UNPAID ITEM CASE" ! You need to wait 4 days before opening the case. If he does not pay after 4 days "the case has been opened" you can cancel the case BY YOURSELF to receive your fees back then you can relist the iPhone for sale again.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
I've been using eBay for about 4years now.
Don't worry sometimes people that don't use eBay are searching to buy an item on eBay to buy it off you and also when it's time to pay they makes an eBay account. Wait 4days if he does no pay open an "UNPAID ITEM CASE" ! You need to wait 4 days before opening the case. If he does not pay after 4 days "the case has been opened" you can cancel the case BY YOURSELF to receive your fees back then you can relist the iPhone for sale again.

Ok we will see , this was fast tho, like 10 minutes after i hit "list item

Plus i dont trust somebody new with no feedback , i just want to get out of this and relist my item , i dont care about the $2 listing fee or whatever it is

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
I have sold several of my iPhones on eBay and never had a problem. Just so you know, if your seller rating does not have 100 feedback or more, if the item sells for a couple hundred then Paypal will hold your money until the seller receives your item, gives you positive feedback, or I believe after 20 days lol.

I also always ship insured with signature confirmation on expensive items. That way they can never say they didn't receive it. The only thing to worry about is if they damage it and claim you sent them a damaged item. I guess that is where insurance helps.

Also under your eBay account settings you can block people from bidding if they have I believe zero feedback, from foreign countries, no PayPal account etc.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
im giving this thing a try again

i need ebay advise

the top 2 bids are one person who joined ebay today and the other bidder his profile says location in another country out of THe USA

i put in the listing USA only shipping

should i cancel both bids before the listing ends, there was one bid before them that looked legit , a person with a couple of feedback

these 2 top bidders have zero feedback , one joined today and the other joined a few months back but has a location outside the USA

xRYD3Rx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
im giving this thing a try again

i need ebay advise

the top 2 bids are one person who joined ebay today and the other bidder his profile says location in another country out of THe USA

i put in the listing USA only shipping

should i cancel both bids before the listing ends, there was one bid before them that looked legit , a person with a couple of feedback

these 2 top bidders have zero feedback , one joined today and the other joined a few months back but has a location outside the USA

Cancel those bids. And can you give me the link of the iPhone your selling on ebay?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Sold already

I went into settings so in the future those new people cant bid on my stuff

But today i had to fight them off

Cancelled like 6 bids

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.