iPhone on Home Insurance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mgs6876, Dec 10, 2011.

1. mgs6876, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

mgs6876 macrumors newbie

I am receiving my iPhone 4s later this week and I am curious about some thing I heard about being able to protect it on my home insurance. We have Farmers Home Insurance and I am hoping to get some details on what other people have done, if anything with their phone and home insurance. I purchased the phone with a credit card that extends the manufacturers warranty, but I am hoping to get something that covers accidental coverage. I am going to call on Monday, but I am just curious.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Any of those home insurance companies cover lost or stolen iphones?
    Im not that concerned about the warranty part but I just lost my 4S a few weeks and had to cough up $700 for another one.

3. mgs6876 thread starter macrumors newbie

That sucks. It would be a bonus if it covers that. I have seen that some companies cover phones, but I wouldn't want to pay a $500 deductible and have higher rates cause it would be counterproductive. I am going to get a case for it anyways, but if they can't cover it I am going to look at a case like a Lifeproof that supposedly offers great protection.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, I agree.
    It wouldnt be worth it with a $500 deductible and having to risk raising your insurance rates in order to save $200.

5. mgs6876 thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw somewhere that some insurance companies offer some sort of rider to the home insurance policy. It can cost something like $30/year and has a different deductible than the $500 one with the regular plan.

6. BlackViper macrumors member

Apple Repair program

While home insurance can be good if you loose the phone entirely, I don't thing insuring against damage is worthwhile; with the exception of Applecare+ as it also includes support, and extended warranty. Sign up for iCloud and use Find My iPhone; you mention being on a farm, I presume you're primarily worried about dropping the phone outside in some random field? Find my iPhone location works great if the phone is outside and you can have it play a sound(even if the silent switch is on) to aid in pinpointing the location.

As for damage, Apple will repair your iPhone for about $200. You're often better to pay the repair price than an insurance premium plus deductible. If you're still concerned about damage, consider a protective case, much cheaper than insurance, or repair.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    I dont think there is farms in Detroit.
    Farmers insurance its jut the name of the company:D

8. mgs6876 thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in the metro-Detroit area and I don't live on a farm. I am looking for something more about accidental damage coverage than losing the phone. This is probably a jinx, but I have had good luck with keeping my phone in my pocket and not someone else's.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Just be careful. Home insurance can be a tricky game when it comes to claims. There are many stories of companies dropping customers for too many claims.

10. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Asked the same question to my USAA insurance company and they said there was no rider for a cell phone and I would have to pay the $500 deductible which I would pass on and either get the Carrier insurance (Cost $8.00 a month) and be done with it. The Carrier would pay the lost or stolen part including drops and spills.

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

The deductible alone would make it not a good idea to claim it on home insurance.

12. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Investigate into a rider and see what the cost and coverage is. I personally would use a 3rd party insurance and not your home insurance to cover a iPhone. Home insurance is for big things.

13. cynics macrumors G3

Mine is insured if its in the house during a fire, flood or robbery. If I lose it I'm sol.

My insurance guy is a good friend of mine so I'll text him ask for more info on the subject. It's nationwide btw.

14. JagsFan829 macrumors member

JagsFan829

For the renters out there.. do you have renters insurance? Supposedly it's pretty cheap as-is, so I wonder if covering your phone/whatever would be even cheaper.

15. libertysat macrumors regular

I have farmers insurance and asked my agent a couple years ago

He said not worth it and to go with square trade
    I took his advice

I plan on keeping my current iphone when I upgrade in a year or so and drop the square trade
    I intend to use my spare as my insurance

16. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Making a single claim in most cases with legit insurance companies does not raise your rates.