iPhone on Orange? [UK]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vq., Jan 4, 2012.

1. vq. macrumors newbie

Yeah, is the network any good? Currently on o2 and I want to leave due to price s keep getting higher.

Cheers:)

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Worst network I've ever been with. Horrible customer service.

3. vq. thread starter macrumors newbie

But I've already joined them, I use them for my BB. I can't leave 1 month in haha, horrible fee @ £36 a month!

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

My contract with O2 is up this month...Overall I think I will be sticking with them I think. The best deal though would appear to be Tesco Mobile, but i have no idea what the service is like.

Most of the people I talk to are on O2 which is also a consideration.

5. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Go on the 3 Network. After trying to get a Giffgaff sim activated for more than 4 days i would not recommend them at all as they have no one to answer your calls and minimal staff when problems to do arise, and they will arise.

6. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

My wife uses tesco mobile. It's on the O2 network so she gets the same coverage as me. Only real difference is the lack of visual voicemail.

7. vq. thread starter macrumors newbie

I get where everyones coming from; I just can't pay the £600 odd cancellation fee haha.

8. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Its a lot better since the T-Mobile mast sharing they have in place, I know get constant 3G even out in the middle of nowhere whereas before I would struggle to get GPRS.

Force it under Settings -> Carrier to T Mobile and see what its like for you

Glad I stuck with them for the 4S

9. vq. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this! Definitely will take your advice.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Orange = bad customer service, really bad pricing, and they put prices on contracts up without much notice, yet you still have to pay them.

I'd go with any other carrier - 3 and O2 are both good, so are Tesco Mobile, giffgaff and T-Mobile. Vodafone are also expensive IMO.

----------

Tesco mobile runs off O2, so you'd get O2 coverage on Tesco Mobile.

11. yui4 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't know much about orange but vodafones customer service was a disgrace so I switched to 02 3 years ago and am happy with their service

12. japple80 macrumors newbie

Shouldn't you have asked the question before taking the contract out?

Orange for me have been horrible, and data speeds have been really bad too. I also received a text saying prices were going up, luckily my 1st line with orange finishes in a few months.

To be totally honest there is no "best" network, it depends on the individual and their own experiences.

I can guarantee you every network will have a queue of people ready to tell you how they get bad coverage and bad customer service.

Some people complain about three and lack of coverage, I get good coverage in the places I use my phone and good data speeds.

And while orange coverage is awful and the customer service was bad for me it might be different for you.

I think the best thing to do nowadays is to order contracts online or over the phone so you get a cooling off period, the coverage check they do in store is a load of rubbish, I've had them check postcodes in store signed a contract with a network and the coverage has been rubbish.

The only way to find out how coverage is, is by actually using the phone, and as some of us know it's often too late as we have signed a contract in store.

I will certainly never sign a contract in store again.

13. matttye macrumors 601

Customer service wasn't bad for me. They take a while (~5 days) to reply to emails, best to phone them.

In terms of network quality they were absolutely awful, messages not delivered for 3 hours regularly, messages not being delivered at all. Appalling. Depends on where you live though.

14. andybno1, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I personally cant fault with the network in regards to connection, even more so since the t-mobile merger. I am constantly with a 3G connection except when I go in to the likes of ASDA or sainsburys where signal does go bad due to their store's building. Texts always getting through with no issues, mms no issues except New years Day where there was like an 8-9 hour delay.

The switch from Orange to the shared network is seemless, my biggest issue is the pricing as they are taking my tariff up by £1.50 making it a total of £38.50 which I aint happy with but hey they changed their T&S after last time tariffs went up to cover themselves.

As for customer service it's alright from the dealings I've had when I've rang up with a network issue.

as a side note to OP it's always best to research networks before you join and not join then get feedback :p lol

15. Macman45, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I didn't know that O2 operate Tesco Mobile. This means in theory, I should have more leverage to get the same deals they offer. Im a little concerned at the lack of Video though....Does that include FT? If so I guess I will stick with O2....I use FaceTime a lot.

16. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you won't be able to get the same deals on O2 as you would with Tesco, Tesco piggy back on the O2 network but all in all O2 wil see you as an external customer and you won't be able to haggle the same deals as Tesco

17. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I've been through the networks extensively recently

Orange are terrible where i live. The 3G speed is dog slow and I've lost data connection several times for no apparent reason. Their 3G coverage is pretty good but as mentioned, v.slow.

T-Mobile, not bad but they cap the speeds so it makes 3G quite slow too.

Three (3), again good signal, i believe the same/similar to T-Mobile as they use the same masts, good deals at the moment.

Vodaphone, lol...

o2, i'm sticking with them. 3G in most cities, no quite as good coverage outside of cities, but speeds are v.fast. Typically 4Mbit-6Mbit/Sec for me. Plus they are upgrading their 3G network to 3G 900Mhz which gives better coverage and possibly faster speeds. I think they are converting a lot of 2G sites to 2.5G / Edge too which makes browsing more bearable outside of 3G coverage.

The best option i believe is tesco mobile / giffgaff. I'm sticking with o2 as i get VV and unlimited cloud wifi and unlimited data on an old iPhone simplicity tariff.

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

O2 customers will unfortunately be losing free access to Cloud wifi come February, I think it is, as Sky has purchased it. A friend of mine who works for Sky said that Sky subscribers will be able to use it for free, though.

19. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

i am with orange and some places i can't get signal but it switches over to t mobile so thats good. only reason i am staying with them is because my contract is £14.something

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I used to be on Vodafone but now I'm on Orange. Where I am I have had no problems with reception that aren't universal to all mobile phone companies (in rural Scotland pretty much coverage from every company is hit-and-miss). However, so far the service I have had from Orange has been excellent. In fact, the only thing about Orange I don't like is that they didn't give me a customer loyalty discount when I upgraded from the 3GS to the 4S. The bastards.... :mad:

21. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

wish I was on that contract lol

22. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

I was on O2 for my 3G, hated the network then, had really poor signal barely got above GPRS for data, shocking!
    Moved to Orange and it was a lot better, most of the time get 3G speeds and now with the merger with T-mobile get 3G at decent speed most of the time, Orange CS i haven't required to use so far since iphone 4 launch so don't know what they're like

I will NEVER go to three as there is no customer service. I took out a 30 day rolling contract on a mifi, took 6 months to terminate my contract with them because the call centre staff would lie or refuse to deal with me, ended up cancelling the direct debit and waited for them to contact me, still ended up having to pay a further two months to get them to go away this included going into a three store to get the manager to help, it was appalling, i even had 1 CS rep say they'd get sacked if they followed up with the disconnection and they wouldn't do that.

23. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

O2 don't operate Tesco Mobile. Tesco are a virtual operator who happen to use O2's network, in the same way that Virgin Mobile use T-Mobile's network and GiffGaff use O2's. So you won't get the same deals (they are separate companies) but you will get the same coverage.