iPhone on Virgin Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rattler, Oct 7, 2012.

1. rattler macrumors member

I know Virgin Mobile doesn't offer the iPhone yet, but when Apple starts selling it unlocked, will I be able to use it on Virgin Mobile, a CDMA network? And if I don't like VM, can I use it on a GSM network if I put a SIM card in? Thanks!

2. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

You'll have to get the Virgin mobile iPhone from Virgin in order to use it on their network. If you end up not liking it you will have to sell it to someone else who is on Virgin or keep it as an expensive iPod Touch since it can't be unlocked for gsm networks.

3. rattler thread starter macrumors member

Wait, so you can only use the unlocked iPhone 5 with GSM networks?

4. willmtaylor, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Actually, if VZW shipped their iPhone 5's GSM unlocked, there's a chance Virgin Mobile could do the same.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/24/verizon-iphone-5-unlock-policy/ (CDMA phone ships unlocked for GSM)

5. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Yes

6. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

It's possible but unlikely. Virgin is part of Sprint and will probably like their iPhone like Sprint does.

7. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Verizon had to due to the FCC. Virgin Mobile isn't on the 700Mhz C block of spectrum so I'd doubt they'd want to willingly unlock the handset.

8. rattler thread starter macrumors member

I'm buying the iPhone for someone as a Christmas gift. If Virgin Mobile doesn't start offering the iPhone 5 by Christmas time, can't I just buy it unlocked from Verizon and used it with VM? After all, Verizon is CDMA too so why would it sell a phone that doesn't work on its own network? Sorry for all the questions!

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The CDMA part of the phone will only work on Verizon, in theory someone at Virgin might be able to activate it, but in practice they don't. The GSM side is unlocked, so you can use it on any GSM network, but since Virgin is CDMA that won't help.

10. rattler thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok. So as of right now there's no way to get the iPhone 5 on Virgin Mobile, and from what I've been reading, they won't have it for quite a while. Guess I'll have to go with Cricket.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ding ding ding:D
    We have a winner.
    Has been like that for over 2-3 years now.
    The unlocked iphones are only unlocked for GSM networks, CDMA carriers just wont activate them on their network unless its locked to them and not from another carrier.
    Its not a hardware limitation but a carrier greed limitation.

No.
    VM wont activate it on their network.

12. as0016 macrumors regular

Although when you buy the iphone5 off contract as device only - Virgin is an option when you get to the activate screen on the CDMA iphone, so I wonder if you pushed the Virgin USA choice it if it would actually work on their service. I figure why would it be listed as an option if it wouldnt, but given CDMA it may just not.