iPhone or Droid 4 + Nano?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrf097, Dec 30, 2011.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

My iPod Touch is slowly murdering itself (It got chipped and according to the Genius Bar person, the screen is pushing itself in, and moisture is getting inside of it which is the reason behind the random app crashes, system slowdown, and my home button being messed up)

I was thinking of an iPhone for this reason:
    - 1 stellar device (Phone, iPod Touch, and High Quality Camera)
    - Works will all my iTunes media perfectly.
    - Did I mention the camera?
    - iMessage since everyone in my family (Grandma, Cousin, Uncle, etc.) all have an iPhone with iOS 5 so that makes communications between us all easier.
    - Did I tell you about that camera?

But when getting my iPhone, I would have to upgrade to Verizon's cheapest data plan which is 30$ for 2GB. This is what made me think about getting a Droid 4 (Which come on, we know it exists considering all the document leaks) I was thinking of a D4 for these reasons:
    - Android 4.0 has built-in Data prevention to keep you from going over.
    - Physical Keyboard
    - Higher quality Front-Facing camera
    - More customizable (e.g. Widgets & Themes)
    - Motorola, nuff said.

For music management I would just use an iPod Nano. Which do you think would be a better path to go down? I would use my phone for texting (5k+ this month!) so a physical keyboard would be great, but also as a camera (My 5MP handheld just isn't cutting it and I don't have the 700$ for a Canon). Which would you guys go for. Also BTW, Siri = worthless to me, so it's not a selling point.

2. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Mm I would go for the iPhone 4S even tho is only 2gb , reason being is because it only been 2 years since the OG droid came out and there on there 4 phone already does not make any sense to me(really ???? And I had the of droid)

Anyways another think you can do is get the galaxy nexus on wirefly (cheaper price) and you will get 4GB and trade for an iPhone 4S (trust me you will find a lot people ) and at the same time you try the new OS

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

That's all based on opinion. I'd say the Droid RAZR is the best phone on the market as it's larger, thinner, faster processor & More RAM, and has better front and rear facing cameras (RAZR has 8MP & 1.3MP, Nexus has 5MP & .3 MP) than the Nexus.

I'll probably end up getting a white iPhone 4S though. :)

5. kaizenmx, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

kaizenmx macrumors regular

That's a blog, genius.

Seriously, if you are truly judging an electronic device based on some blogger on internet, than you don't deserve any iphones or android phones. Go get yourself a flip phone.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. nraudigy2 macrumors member

7. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Truth about the specs and camera is not too bad neither bit try a droid rzer and it feels weird I was playing for like an hour with my friends and is not bad but man the screen is too wide that's the only rant I have about the phone I didn't like it he return the phone and got a galaxy nexus , the one feels big too but not as wide

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I will try and ask an impartial question... If you get the droid 4, why would you need the nano? It is perfectly capable of playing all of your media. One consideration to make is how much you have spent on apps in the appstore. You will not be able to get those back (legally) on Android without repurchasing them. Outside of that, Android vs iOS is completely user preference IMO. I have been more than happy with both. My daily driver is currently the 4S but plan on the GSM Nexus if/when it hits the states.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This actually would be a reason for me NOT to buy a Droid 4, but anyway...

I would just get the iPhone. Single device, does everything you need. No hassle.

10. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Motorola's newer products like the Droid RAZR, Droid Bionic and Droid 3 are all excellent products with some of the highest build quality over on the Android side. I would assume the Droid 4 will be good as well.

From reviews I have read it sounds like customers have been very satisfied with the RAZR and a lot of people have been criticizing the Galaxy Nexus for having poor call performance and weaker reception. Those 2 things are always good on a Motorola. The only thing Samsung is good at these days is copying Apple. Now that is not saying the Nexus isn't a good phone, however build quality and feel is not in the same league as the RAZR.

11. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm dubious about Google Music and how well it will go over. Most of the apps I use are free & have their Android counterparts free as well. (Pandora, Facebook, FB Messenger are the 3 I use the most)

Except (Verizon at least) charges 75$ for them to take it (iPhone) back even within the 14 day trial period.

12. lordofthereef, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

What does google music have to do with anything? If you are getting a nano, you won't be getting it for streaming (in that it can't stream iTunes match). You can use iTunes downloads just fine on your android device (assuming they were all purchased DRM free, which they now all are). Truth be told, it's better than iTunes sync IMO. I personally use Google music to stream to my iPhone and it is phenomenal. Slightly annoying to have to refresh your library after uploading new music, but aside from that, it is just as good as match IMO.

Buy it at Apple.

13. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

LOL .. he's a Consultant anyway .. it's his job to give clients opinion, wouldn't you say "D

14. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

You asked why I would get a Nano when the Droid could play my music just fine so I was assuming you were talking about the Droid playing my media. I also have TV shows and Movies and I don't know how I would get them on the Droid. I'll probably end up with a White iPhone, but I'm keeping the Droid high up right next to it as a major possibility.

15. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Droid's aren't my cup of tea.

Best to go with a galaxy nexus with ICS and an iPod nano.

16. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

That's the best way to do it. Only way you can be sure that you want either device.

Asking people on forums is a very poor form of research considering you are buying a product you might like or hate irrespective of what others think.

17. kaizenmx macrumors regular

There are plenty of other "consultants" with non-bias description of Android phones than that crap written in that garbage blog.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

All I can say is that Android is Android. You'll get delayed updates, you'll be lucky to get any updates at all (unless you have a Nexus device), not as smooth (even screen rotation and pinch/zooming on webpages on Androids flagship device is laggy), apps aren't as good quality as iOS, etc.

You'd have to get a smartphone data plan with any smartphone. but, I think Verizon has a 300MB plan for $20 now. Depending on your usage, you might be able to get by with it. Some months I used as low as 120MB and some I use as high as a few hundred MB. I don't really use my phone that much when I'm outside so that's probably why. (I mean to say ... I don't stream video/music, download apps, etc when I'm not home). Generally just pull some email, check the weather, check facebook/twitter on 3G.

Btw i have a new nano and I find it pretty annoying. You have to touch the screen for everything and I just think its annoying. Not to mention the screen is a bit small. It's not that bad, but it's certainly not that great. I mean I'd probably just use the music player that comes with Android than spend $100 on the nano.

I can bet that you won't be disappointed with an iphone.

19. rasputinj macrumors regular

The Droid might be a good phone the battery life of the LTE phones suck as far as I am concerned. But if batt life is not that important, the the larger screen is nice. I do not like android phones myself. I like iPhones, they work well, great apps, all of my music is on there.

20. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

According to Verizon's data calculator I would hit 2GB pretty close (They estimated I'd use 1.78GB on average). The 300MB plan isn't on their website, though. Verizon currently has a deal where if you get a 4G LTE phone you get 4GB of data for 30$, but they don't have the iPhone included.

And I'll be happy with whatever I get.

21. xdbuix macrumors 6502

Specs don't always means its better, for example the iPHone and the awesome Nokia lumia 800.

I have to agree that the nexus might be a better pick, just because it's considered the google flagship phone right now and imo it''ll get more support than the RAZR in the long run, especially with all those Droid phones coming out. THe camera on the Nexus isn't that bad btw. :D

22. iCONCUR2011 macrumors newbie

I just switched over to the iPhone from a droid a few months back. Liked the droid at first, but hated it in the long run. Nothing is consistent with android. Every app runs differently on each different phone. The apps were so inconsistent due to the numerous different platforms of android created for each phone. The battery life was mediocre at best. So many apps would force close for no reason and also freeze the phone. The music players were pretty lousy and the updates were always late. I have enjoyed having the consistency and reliability of the iphone and itunes over the last few months, and wouldn't even consider going back to android anytime in the near future. Go with the iphone that has all you'll need and you can rely on it.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Yes... you won't be putting TV shows and movies on an iPod nano either... THAT is my point...

But on a droid, you drag the movie to your SD card, open it on the droid, and you are done. Yes, it literally is that easy.

----------

If you want the iPhone along with the 4GB plan, go with a 4G LTE phone (something with a high resale value) and sell it. Buy a used iPhone 4/4s and activate that on Verizon. BAM. You have your 4GB data plan and an iPhone easy peasy. ;)

24. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

1) I have the 3rd Generation Nano. I'd be using that, but I didn't know it was >that< easy.

2) That would be more expensive than just getting an iPhone w/2GB.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't follow... You would break even at worst. More work, I can agree to. And sorry, I assumed you wouldn't be watching movies on a 1inch screen. My bad. :eek: