iPhone or Nokia?

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have a chance to get a free Nokia 920 with Windows 8 (when it comes out) or buy an iPhone 5 now.

IMO, the iPhone has become bland, and the issues with scratching and Maps haven't helped the case. It is really not worth shelling out $800+ for an unlocked 32GB. Obviously you can't beat free, plus I think the Nokia is sexy.

On the other hand, I use a Mac, iTunes, iCloud, iMessage etc. and everything is integrated. Giving up the back-end will be hard.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Buy what technology fits for your lifestyle... Forget the brand attachment..

If the iPhone does everything you need, why settle for the 920? As it sits right now, the 920 is a phantom phone with no release date ..

I've been a Nokia fanboy for years, but, the lack of info from Nokia/Microsoft on the 920 launch made me buy the iPhone.. No longer waiting to see if the phone is going to work for me..

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I'm guessing most people on MACrumors will suggest iPhone ;)

Just do what's best for your budget and/or what you prefer. :)

GL!

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
If it is free why not take it and if you dont like it then you can shell out $800. I dont see the difficulty in the decision.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
I would tell you to choose the 920. It sounds like you’ve grown tired of apple iOS. Give it a shot and let us know what it’s like. Maybe shoot a small demo video explaining what’s like to come from iOS to W8. Good luck and enjoy your time!

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I would say the 920 because of the camera but that is my uses. I will end up getting the 920 and cycle between both phones for a month.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I have a chance to get a free Nokia 920 with Windows 8 (when it comes out) or buy an iPhone 5 now.

IMO, the iPhone has become bland, and the issues with scratching and Maps haven't helped the case. It is really not worth shelling out $800+ for an unlocked 32GB. Obviously you can't beat free, plus I think the Nokia is sexy.

On the other hand, I use a Mac, iTunes, iCloud, iMessage etc. and everything is integrated. Giving up the back-end will be hard.

What are your thoughts?
Why would you care what some stranger thinks? Do whatchca like.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Nokia Lumia 920 for me.

Had a 4S since release and although I like it, mainly because it's jailbroken and looks sexy, it's the most overrated piece of technology there is I think. iPhone 5 just looks like the same crap again, so definitely doesn't float my boat.

The Lumia 920 on the other hand looks wonderful! My girlfriend has a WP7 phone a while back and I loved it, so no doubt will love WP8 and the Lumia 920 when I get mine. :)

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
How could it possibly matter what I would do? I just don't get it.
Because if you point out an advantage that you find benefited you, then maybe it will benefit me as well.

When you don't ask for an opinion, it's not good.
When you DO ask for an opinion, it still isn't good.

iBought

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Its free..you are insane to spend $800 if you can get a brand new release phone for free. Save your money..thats a large amount.

I love apple because I am a creative type who uses apps to make music as well as text, web browse..etc. The iphone is years ahead of anything for creative people.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
You said it's free, so it's not a hard decision. The nokia lumia is a pretty good looking phone too, and i like the windows phone interface too. Only drawback of lumia is the thickness and weight of the thing, it's even heavier than the lumia 900.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space

What are your thoughts?

For me the Apple ecosystem is really more then just the hardware. I would wait for the W8 to mature before jumping in.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I'd go with the free phone and then use the money you saved to hire a life counselor since you are incapable of making decisions for yourself but instead depend on the advice of complete strangers.

m0no

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2009
Just get the 920 and if you like it then good if not then get the 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.