iPhone original (2007) battery replacement and service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bender644, Jan 30, 2012.

1. bender644 macrumors member

I have an original iPhone (yes, the original, and I'm perfectly happy with it for my needs :D).

I looked online, and they have a couple of options upon entering my serial number. One is for battery replacement and the other is some sort of service, to the tune of $150.

I am in Canada and since the iPhone was never brought here, the Apple store doesn't support it, so I'd have to go to the US somewhere. I was told that they still do the replacement; the guy called a store in Buffalo.

I want to know for sure. Do they still do it? I looked online, and it seems as though if I were to do it myself, the case is most certainly going to suffer a little (i.e. it's never going to look as good as it was before the repair). Since this is the case, I assume that after paying 80 bucks for a battery replacement, I'm not going to get shipped back my iPhone with a case that's suffered.

So what do they do? Do they replace the whole casing? How about if I pay 150? Do they replace the glass?

One risk is that the iPhone is 5 years old and works perfectly and its passed the test. I'm afraid if I send it in, it might create some problems (these are people doing this after all and I don't know how many original iPhones they do anymore...).

I'm not sure if I can even call Apple from Canada to have them answer my questions.

Thanks for your help.

2. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

3. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

I'm pretty sure Apple will still carry out this service. I think what happens is that they replace your device completely with a refurbished model of the same spec (which has a brand new battery and back casing), and your phone will go off to be refurbished at a later date.

The options Apple gives you is a Battery Replacement ($79+ shipping)
    Or a full out-of-warranty service ($199) - which I assume is for physically damaged/broken iPhones (water damage, manufacturing defects, etc)

I'd go with the simple battery replacement in this case.

A quick glance at the iFixit guide:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPhone-1st-Generation-Battery/448/1
    Tells me that replacing the battery yourself is going to be pretty tricky, but doable.

It's just up to you to decide where the costs/benefits of an Apple/User replacement balance out - and then to go with the option that suits best.

It's getting old and worn out after well over four years on the road.

4. bender644 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the battery isn't very good anymore.

That is an interesting point you make. If apple just gives you a refurbished one, which will look pretty new (I presume the case and screen are pretty new, if not new) then can one not just buy a used original iPhone from, go to the Apple store, request them to replace the battery and just get a refurbished one that looks close to new?

Seems like it's doable, for only 79 bucks. I happen to be completely ok with the original (don't use data) and in fact prefer it. There's something appealing about it.