iphone owners: Do you find it necessary to own a ipod when u have a iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bubbagumpshrimp, Jun 18, 2008.

1. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Do you find it necessary to own a ipod when u have a iphone?
    I have a 30gb ipod video that I am tempted to sale for some extra cash but dont now if i'll kick myself later.

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

my iPod has been collecting dust since June of 2007.

Why would you need a iPod when you have iPhone that does that for you.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Probably not, though I've collected: 80GB V/Black, 30GB V/White, and (2) 4GB Nano and (2) different iPod entertainment centers (boom boxes). Don't want to part with them, but then again I don't use them as much anymore. :(

4. David G. macrumors 65816

More space for music/videos possibly?

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I would imagine I would still use my Shuffle when I am working outside or at the gym. I am scared to death of the potential risk of dropping an iPhone...

6. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

In short..no. If I need an ipod away from the iphone it's usually the shuffle for working out/running. The recessed input on the OG iphone is annoying and keeps me from using it in the car but that is corrected in the new version. Honestly, I don't think you really need an extra ipod to go with the new iphone as long as you just put the tunes on there that you want access to and 16GB is pretty safe for that.

7. supersize macrumors member

I still use my Ipod all the time. Mostly in the car/traveling. It's nice to have my whole collection with me for whatever mood strikes me.

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I live my iPod in the car 24/7.
    I occasionally bring it in to sync.

I used to also have a 30GB 5G iPod that I used as my day-to-day iPod while I left the other one in the car. I sold it when I bought my iPhone.

I'm thinking about getting a Shuffle or Nano for working out too, but as of right now, my "car iPod" works fine, and I won't replace it until I either eclipse 40GB of music, or it breaks.

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, I have two full iPods and an old shuffle despite my iphone 16 GB. The iphoen doesn't have nearly enough storage for me, so I have a 60 GB ipod in the car, and a 160 GB ipod in my home.

10. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

I currently have an Ipod touch and I know for sure that when I acquire a new iPhone 3g that I will sell it. There is no need for me to have both. This is just my personal feeling on the subject. I know others have different opinions.

11. SRSound macrumors 6502

Only when I want to use my high-end in-ear headphones, but NO LONGER thanks to the new flush headphone jack!

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Personally, no.
    I find my iPhone adequate for all my music/video needs while I am commuting (which is the only time I ever use an iPod.).
    Also, my iTunes music library would not fit on any iPod (currently available) so I have to make a choice in any case.

I suppose it depends if you really want to have all your music and video with you all the time… I can't see the reason for that myself.

13. markym07931 macrumors regular

YES...

i record a tv programme from EYE TV, which is audio only.. It exports to ipod, in an m4a format...

now.. my ipod will happily see this file and play it anytime i want as a video, but with a black screen..

my iphone.. it'll sync the file, but then i have no idea where it actually is..

which is why i'll still keep an ipod

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I was in the same exact spot you are. I figured I'd want to carry around my big 30GB iPod at times for God knows what reason. Well, I don't think I have used it once since getting an iPhone. Yes, I miss the extra storage. But the iPhone screen and UI are SO MUCH BETTER that you don't even care. Get a 16GB model and you won't be hampered quite as much as I am. They can't crank out larger flash modules soon enough!

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep...

60 gig 5G iPod video connected to my TV for movies/tv shows, 2G two gig nano with Nike+ for running and an eight gig iPhone.

I'd love to consolidate, but each iPod is very good at something. I suppose the iPhone could eventually supplant the nano for running with Nike+, but I'd much rather bash or soak my $100 nano than my $400 phone.

16. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

I still need my iPod Classic with 80 gig and iPod nano eventhough I got my iPhone with 8gb.

8 gig is just not enough for me.. Nor is 16 so I just bought the cheapest

17. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

My 8GB nano is definitely going on eBay as soon as I get my iPhone. Will probably get a shuffle before too long though - just to have a knock about iPod for sailing

18. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

I leave my 1st gen iPod nano in the car. For trips where I have to stop and get out of the car I wouldn't want to leave my iPhone there, so I just leave the iPod connected.
    But if I wouldn't have had the ipod first I wouldn't go out to buy one.

19. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've got a shuffle for the gym, an 80GB classic that has all my music on it - currently around the 70GB mark. I don't need all the music all the time, and it usually sits docked in my Apple Hi-fi.
    Still, I'm looking forward to having 16GB of space on my iPhone for yet more of the music I class as the "essentail" part of my collection. Shame there's no 32GB yet...

20. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Strictly speaking I could make do with just my iPhone.

However in practice I've kept hold of my old iPod nano 4Gb for use at the gym, as it's much lighter and I don't mind it getting bashed around a bit!

21. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yes.

I have an iPod for my Bose Sounddock and a Shuffle for the gym. The iPhone really doesn't work that great with either. I find that I use the iPod function on the iPhone when I am on vacation/traveling.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Until there is an iPhone that can hold all my music and a couple of videos I'm going to stick with my iPod. Even when there is a 32 or 64gb iPhone I'll likely keep my iPod since I could store all my films (and half my TV show library) on the 80gb drive.

23. deccoo macrumors member

I still get a good bit of use out of the ol' iPods

Got a 60gb iPod Photo that I use about the house in and as a portable hard drive to cart stuff about on and shuffle for down the gym. Is nice to have iPod that has got the majority of my music collection on it and take it with me when I travel so I can conserve the battery on the phone.

Use the iPhone for the commute and when at work as can't store music on client's laptop.

24. kyen1 macrumors member

I bought an iPhone so I wouldn't need to have a separate phone and iPod.

25. Astro8973 macrumors regular

Astro8973

no, not for everyday use. however, i do take m ipod and iphone with me on long trips so i can have a variety of videos. I still use my ipod :).