iPhone pay as you go USA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattDell, Aug 19, 2012.

1. MattDell macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2006
    London, UK
    I'm going home to the States for a few weeks coming up and am trying to find a way to use my iPhone 4S (completely unlocked from Apple) while I'm there. Here in the UK I'm spoilt for choice as far as PAYG carriers go. But sadly, I don't seem to be finding such luck in the USA.

Here in the UK I can buy a giffgaff SIM valid for 30 days for £15. I thought I finally found something decent with Virgin Mobile, but it seems you have to buy a phone through them before they will let you use their network. Boo!

Anything in the States I can use for PAYG iPhone for just a month max?

2. macingman, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

macingman macrumors 68020

Jan 2, 2011
    This is the best I have found and use it whenever I travel to the US, there are many plans and international credit is even included.

You might need to purchase a phone from them but you can just buy a $30 one. Edit: You can actually buy a sim only here: https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=simDetail&p_code=SIM001

To set up an iPhone on their network you go here: https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=IPhoneData
  3. eastercat macrumors 68040

Mar 3, 2008
    Look up who the cdma carriers are. They're of the suck, because you have to buy a phone for each carrier. Obviously, you're going to avoid these crap companies.
    There are a bunch of pre-paid choices, ranging from t-mobile to straight talk. I've heard that at&t's pay as you go no longer accepted iphone, but I haven't personally tried. It's best to stick to either at&t's MVNOs or t-mobile.
    If you do a search on MR, you'll find a post that compares the pay as you go options in the US.
  4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    Straight Talk has a $45 a month plan unlimited voice/text/data but you have to order the sim direct, you can't buy it in a store. You could have it sent to your hotel .
  5. Grimsrud macrumors member

Aug 11, 2010
    Straight Talk's AT&T based network is the only way to go for pre-paid iPhone usage in the US. It just takes a couple of extra steps to get the APN settings for data and MMS right. H2O Wireless is overpriced garbage now, and the T-Mobile based networks have only a very small amount of 3G/4G coverage that supports the iPhone's frequencies.
  6. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2006
    London, UK
    Might be a winner here. I can have it shipped to my parents house.

Shame about the $15 sim fee, but I suppose it's worth it to have service.

7. cvaldes macrumors 68040

Dec 14, 2006
    somewhere else
    For just one month, you are probably better off getting AT&T GoPhone $25 Monthly Plan and buying a 1GB data package for $25. If you walk into an AT&T store, they will give you the SIM for free.

The Straight Talk SIM is $15 and it takes about 3 business days to get it delivered and you need to buy the $45 unlimited service card at the same time. There's also a delivery charge and likely local sales tax, so it will end up being closer to $68-70 out of your pocket. Anecdotally, the Straight Talk service provides 2GB of cellular data despite the fact that they say "unlimited."

AT&T used to have a better option for true Pay As You Go ($0.10/min. plus data packages), but they got rid of the option to buy data packages at that plan rate a few months ago.

Straight Talk makes more sense if you stay for 2+ months.