iPhone personal details security

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrmarts, Apr 18, 2013.

1. mrmarts, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

mrmarts macrumors 65816

Hey guys

if I had my number advertised on the net to sell something, can someone (a stranger off the net) trace where I live. If so can anything be done to prevent your personal being advertised such as switching off location services.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Probably.

Depends on who you're calling "Big Brother."

If it's the government, then no. If they have an interest in you, turning off location services is not enough to stop them from tracking your location. even if you have a dumbphone, they can track it.

If you're talking about Google or app vendors, or Apple, then turning off location services will stop your phone from providing them your location when requested by them.

3. abz1981 macrumors 65816

The government will be able to triangleate your position using the cell towers. If you live in the state of California they will use caltrans cameras to try detect your movements. Use satellite images of your movements too.

So your stuck either way. What you trying to sell?

4. mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Nah i was not talking about the government i meant just someone from the net can they trace you with location services off.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Legally they can't trace you. In sure there could be someone out there with the right technology and access to trace you based on your number though. Really, the questions is, what are the chances?

You could also make things a little tougher by setting up google voice and having texts and calls forwarded to your actual number. When I sell stuff on Craigslist, I always use my google voice number, not because in afraid of being selected for a random killing, but because I just don't want my actual number sitting in the web.

6. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Oh okay. Never mind my post then, ignore it.