iPhone "Personal Hotspot" on/off switch appeared overnight...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prof., Nov 24, 2011.

1. Prof., Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I woke up this morning, went into settings to turn off Aiplane mode, and saw this:
    [​IMG]

I have never seen the Personal Hotspot switch in the main settings menu like this before. Like I said, it appeared out of nowhere overnight. Anyone know why it decided to randomly appear? I've never touched this setting.

Attached Files:

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you slide it on, does it turn on Hotspot or does the feature go away?

If it turns on, I would call your service provider and have them disable that feature because you more likely will get billed for that.

3. Prof., Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Ugh! Great! I'll have to call VZN tomorrow and find out why it's activated. I didn't do anything to even hint to verizon that i want tethering on my iPhone. If they charge me the $40 or whatever, I'm gonna be mad as hell.

EDIT: I went into my Data usage settings, it says I have used 1KB of tethering data. I have no idea how this happened. I know 1KB is nothing to fret about, but you know verizon is gonna charge me for that 1KB lol.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

AT&T pro-rates their Tethering plan, so it works out to something like $0.60 a day ($20 a/mo), not sure if Verizon does the same but I doubt that they would charge you without you knowing and then refuse a refund.

What happens if you switch it to ON?

If you don't have plan on your account, HotSpot wouldn't be able to turn on and that setting will go away.

5. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

When I turn it to "on", it gives me the access code and says my iPhone is "now discoverable"

6. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

Do you have a source for this? I would definitely use the hotspot feature when I need internet on the go on my laptop, but I've always thought that you would be charged the full price regardless of how much internet you used.

7. omegle macrumors newbie

Don't worry. You won't be able to use it even if it's on. Verizon will detect it, then redirect your web requests to their page where you can pick a hotspot package to add to your account.

8. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Cool, thanks guys! I'm gonna call verizon tomorrow just to make sure. I don't want any surprise fees. I already pay them $85/mo, they don't need any more of my money! HA! :D

I'm still baffled how the tethering option just appeared on my iPhone literally overnight. :eek:

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

10. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

It's in network settings. What is VPN?

Attached Files:

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes, I do this all the time.

I use the AT&T wireless app on my iPhone, log on and go to features to add the tethering plan, normally within 30 seconds its been enabled (same process to disable it).

When I travel and have multiple people in the car, I enable it so that people with iPod touch's or iPads can access Safari or rdio/pandora, several months ago my sister had surgery and so I enabled for 3 days so that family/friends can FaceTime her while we were in the hospital, and a few weeks ago their was an internet outage in my town/area and I used to be able to go online from my iMac.

(these were just some example's).

In all these situations, I've enabled it for a few days and have never been charged the full amount.