iPhone personal hotspot query

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Number29, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Number29 macrumors newbie

Hi all

Is there any way to keep the personal hotspot active even if it hasn't been used for a while? I find that once connected, it works fine, but getting connected initially can require me to turn the setting on and off numerous times before my iPad mini can detect the network

Many thanks

2. cg399 macrumors member

cg399

I think that it is a feature that you can only connect to your personal hotspot when the personal hotspot screen is showing on your iPhone. Once you are connected you can navigate away from the screen.

That is what I've found anyway...

3. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, I haven't found a while to keep it connected if the connecting device goes idle for a bit. It's not like true Wifi, where the connecting device will automatically reconnect to WiFi when it wakes up. I've been frustrated many a times with it disconnecting and having to manually reconnect.

If anyone knows of another way, I'd be interested in the answer as well.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The only way to keep the hotspot connection persistent is to use either bluetooth (which is slower) or via the USB connection (which is faster and charges your phone, but keeps your phone physically tethered to your device).

5. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

yeah it's pretty cruddy. i have the same issue. Maybe ios 7 will fix it.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Use bluetooth instead of WIFI tethering.

----------

It will not. It's not a bug, it's intentional behavior.

Use bluetooth if you want persistent tethering.

WIFI shutdown to conserve battery.

7. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

hmm.. i havent had issues wifi tethering once the connection is initiated. Once you leave the personal hotspot screen the device stops broadcasting, but already made connections persist.

How long of a tethering session we talking about here? I know I've went 20+ minutes no problem.

If you want consistent broadcasting, the jailbreak tweak tetherme can do that - but I don't see the need for always broadcasting.

8. robjulo macrumors 6502a

It is extremely flaky. I have to go to the hotspot screen, turn hotspot off then turn it back on before my iPad picks it up.

9. aenflex macrumors newbie

I too have issues. I find that if I turn PH on about 10 mins before I need it, my iPad finds the signal faster. I don't always stay on the PH settings page on my phone, but I find the connection actualizes faster if I do. Also, if my iPad goes dormant for a bit I do lose connection.
    It really isn't a huge bother to me though. I like having the option with VZW to do this, I'm just grateful.