iphone = phone?

jcorbin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
how many people are finding they are using their phone less and less and more as an internet device?

i have had my phone in the bottom dock just because i figured its a phone it should be there. but i'm finding that unless someone is calling me i don't really use my phone as i phone. i mainly text and use apps. and browse the web.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Twelventeen.

Honestly, I don't know how many, but I feel like the people who do the whole song and dance of "UH HELLO!?! IT'S A PHONE!!!" must have missed the giagantic keynote address in which the company who made this phone's CEO stood in front of all these people and talked about it's features for an hour and a half, 5 minutes of which regarded the phone.

It's never been a phone first, other stuff second.

Last edited:

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
As an iPhone, I do use it as a phone as well as an internet/app device. I haven't noticed any real degradation in my use of the phone app since owning an iPhone since late 2009.

Total Respray

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
I am a new iPhone user, and use it for both.

My early conclusion is that it is a great mobile device, but a below-average phone. I would dearly like Apple to improve the rough edges in phone functionality to make it as pleasurable to use as their computers.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I rarely use the phone part of my iPhone, but it does remain on the Dock still to this day. I get more incoming calls than I make outgoing calls. Most of the time I let the voicemail pick it up, because I loathe the telephone.

My iPhone is more of the Internet device, but because of my job, I do need to have a phone. Otherwise, I'd probably go with an iPod Touch instead.

Last edited:

vonWachtstain

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011
I am a new iPhone user, and use it for both.

My early conclusion is that it is a great mobile device, but a below-average phone. I would dearly like Apple to improve the rough edges in phone functionality to make it as pleasurable to use as their computers.
I am curious as to what rough edges are you referring? What is not pleasurable to use?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
I am curious as to what rough edges are you referring? What is not pleasurable to use?
I think he is referring to the squared off edges around the iPhone. Coming from a long time BB user I actually like the change. I also appreciate the above-average build quality of the device.

Total Respray

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
Primarily, the lack of message noise suppression during a call. Also, the lack of a 'silent' icon in the display and the absence of missed call notification. All things that have been present on my dumb-phones for years. Rest of the phone is (mostly) great.

Last edited:

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
Primarily, the lack of message noise suppression during a call. Also, the lack of a 'silent' icon in the display and the absence of missed call notification. All things that have been present on my dumb-phones for years. Rest of the phone is great.

...or that.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2011
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
i have had my phone in the bottom dock just because i figured its a phone it should be there.
You have a valid point. I may make & receive one or two calls a day on average, but I use my iPhone for other purposes much more. And as for the Phone app, I can't remember the last time I opened it for anything other than clearing the missed call badge (I use Siri for dialing, and GV for voicemail). Yet like you the Phone app is holding 1/4 of my bottom dock hostage, while apps I use far more frequently are in folders on the bottom dock. Thanks to your nudge, that will be changing momentarily :)

Eric0531

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Seattle
Most of the time I left the voicemail pick it up said:
I do software support on the phone all day so the last thing I want to do when I'm off work is talk to *anybody* on the phone. But we don't have a land line anymore so it does get used as a phone as often as needed. But I use mine for listening to music more than anything else, then texting, then email and news & weather apps, phone and other assorted things.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
how many people are finding they are using their phone less and less and more as an internet device?

i have had my phone in the bottom dock just because i figured its a phone it should be there. but i'm finding that unless someone is calling me i don't really use my phone as i phone. i mainly text and use apps. and browse the web.
Depends on their job and if they have one. I suspect a lot of younger users here are college students or kids who may not have as much of a need to actually talk.

I use mine from 8am to 6pm for work and while I use texting, email and calender, etc....other 'smart' features, the main purpose dunning my day is to talk to people, and thus yes, I use it for a phone. Works great too.

I'm way beyond the interest in using it to play games, other than on an occasion long plane ride. I use it for music most of the time then.

HKUSP.40

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Since you, for argumentative purposes, need a phone to text message...then I use my iPhone as a phone more than anything. But I certainly browse the net more on my iPhone than I did on my previous smart phones because I find it so much easier and just more smooth.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
About the same as it has ever been for me but I've been using smartphones for years and I've used numerous makes/models before picking up the 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.