iPhone pick-pocketed!

macbookman83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
New York
Last night I was listening to my music using bluetooth headphones and I was pickpocketed. I didn't realize it until about a minute or two since the bluetooth range is about 200 feet.

Since my Iphone was jailbroken with android lock and passcode and iGotya the person wasn't able to get into and have a snapshot of the girl.............

I already suspended the account so she shouldn't be able to activate it on AT&T.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Hey, that's cool how it took a pic of the thief. Made me think of something. Would be cool on stock iOS if instead of/in addition to having the option to erase the phone after so many failed password attempts it would take a picture and upload it.

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
The fact he posted the photo yeah I thought it was pretty cool,except for the bitch stole his phone

Last edited by a moderator:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Yeah...great app...great thing you have a completely useless photo...good thing ya got that app, but not your phone.

Why again?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Wow, Apple really needs an app like this. Although it would probably be violating someone's rights. :mad:

Time to plaster this picture up everywhere. :D

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
you should make posters of that picture with the caption "I'm an iThief" and plaster them everywhere in that area.

macbookman83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
New York
you should make posters of that picture with the caption "I'm an iThief" and plaster them everywhere in that area.
Thats what I planned on doing I alaready filed a police report and gave them the address. THe problem is that when it was intially tracked she was on the train.

After that point the battery must of died and I cancelled the service so I could use find my iPhone :(

vonWachtstain

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011
Wow, I am seriously reconsidering my stance on jailbreaking. Put poster with her photo and reward info at the station theft took place. Chances are she probably frequents the same area so somebody might recognize her.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I bought an iPhone 4 upon release, only to have it stolen three weeks later. Since I always carry a laptop, I just stopped at the closest Starbucks & wiped the phones contents. Even though it was equipped with find my phone & a password, I had no desire to track it.

I'm lucky to have both an Apple store & AT&T store within a few miles from home. So I just headed to Apple, bought a new one & set it up right there. It was very satisfying to get it all done in less than an hour. Oh sure, it was a bit costly, but stuff happens :)

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
The pic from the first post don't really prove anything, the lady in the pic can be in the subway sitting next to the thief, all she does is looking at your phone.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
The pic from the first post don't really prove anything, the lady in the pic can be in the subway sitting next to the thief, all she does is looking at your phone.
Yes because when someone uses a phone they don't have it pointing towards them, they have it pointing to the person next to them.. especially when they're trying to type something on it (in case it wasn't obvious to you, the jailbreak app he's using takes a picture using the front facing camera)

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi,

I also recently had my iphone 4 {JB} pick pocketed although i didn't have a photo taking option option i did have app locker installed, which added extra security to my settings and various folders I had sensitive data in such as banking apps etc.

Even tho i had this i still changed my passwords just in case !

I was not quick enough to log into the find my iPhone software as the person had already turned it off, so instead i sent a remote wipe command along with a message offering a reward.

After speaking to my network to block it and have a new micro sim issued i frequented my local network store and purchased an iphone 4s.

Learning curve : I don't keep my iphone in a hip holster anymore !