Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
So I am working near the Mexico boarder and my iPhone 4S randomly picked up Mexico's cell phone towers. The AT&T symbol changed to Telecom and I had an "o" where it usually says 3G. My question is, why did my phone do this? I thought the phone had to be unlocked to use internationally. The scary thing is that I had to call AT&T to have them disable the data roaming feature from my account not knowing that my phone would do this automatically. I hope my next bill is not hundreds of dollars.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
It has to be unlocked to accept a foreign sim. Roaming on a foreign network can be done with a normal at&t sim.

Ok so the phone will work anywhere in the world but you would have to pay the price, unless you get a foreign sim and unlock it correct?

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ok thanks guys!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Others mentioned it, but I didn't see you say if you absolutely did this or not yet.

Did you get this turned off?

Photo%20Dec%2007%2C%209%2010%2001%20AM.jpg

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
That circle symbol represents GPRS data, which is the precursor to Edge. You could also think of it as 1G data. This is a connection which is slower than dial-up internet access, so even though any data you may have used would be billed at the international roaming rate, I doubt that you would be able to rack up much of a bill that way. Especially since it sounds like you were on top of things and called AT&T right away. Of course, as Small White Car pointed out, if you turn off data roaming on your phone then you won't have to worry about this at all.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
That circle symbol represents GPRS data, which is the precursor to Edge. You could also think of it as 1G data. This is a connection which is slower than dial-up internet access, so even though any data you may have used would be billed at the international roaming rate, I doubt that you would be able to rack up much of a bill that way. Especially since it sounds like you were on top of things and called AT&T right away. Of course, as Small White Car pointed out, if you turn off data roaming on your phone then you won't have to worry about this at all.

Yeah I had that turned off the whole time. I was just worried when my phone said Telecom and my co workers told me that is Mexico cell towers. Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If you get charged for international data, you can just call AT&T and explain to them what happened. And yeah, for the future, just disable international data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.