iphone playlists and shuffle songs question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghost357, May 6, 2013.

1. ghost357 macrumors newbie

Let's say I have some playlists for different moods and I don't want to play these tracks when I'm using the shuffle mode through my iphone. I've made some different playlists on iTunes but these songs play when I want to shuffle all the songs I have put under the "Music" option in iTunes. Anyone know what I have to do so I don't play the other tracks when I'm shuffling all the rest of the songs? Thanks

2. ghost357 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Well go to the playlist and shuffle the songs in that playlist NOT under the whle music list. If I understood your query that is.

4. ghost357 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry but my english is not the best so Ima try to put it down this way
    let's say I have 1250 songs on ipod thats rock genre or something and I got other 150 thats metal and 100 thats hip hop on different playlists, so in total it's 1500 songs. when I'm around with friends and I put the iphone on shuffle and I want to play the rock music and put it on shuffle, the other songs come up randomly. so somehow I wanna play only the rock stuff without the other tracks coming up.

5. Ann P macrumors 68020

Shuffle from 'Genre'? This, of course only works well if most of your songs have the right genre under them.

6. ghost357 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply but however this is not exactly my question, because the difference is not only about the genre but in mood of the songs. I have make some lists for specific times so I wanna know if theres any way to somehow keep the other lists "private", "hidden" or "locked" and I can show them only when I want to play these songs.

7. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

If you've created a playlist, then you can shuffle the music within that playlist. Only the songs within that playlist will play.

If you want to play music via a particular genre, you can also shuffle music within that genre and only the music within that genre will play.

It's really not that complicated.

8. ghost357 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so the question is how can I shuffle the songs that are not in a playlist or a genre either, without playing the songs that are in a playlist??

9. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I think you need to learn about smartplaylists.

10. ghost357 thread starter macrumors newbie

what's that?

11. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Playlists based on rules you set up in itunes. They are listed as a little gear in itunes. For example, you can have it choose to add songs not played in the last two months (or whatever period you choose) . I set up a bunch of static (normal) playlists, for example an 80s playlist and created a second "smart" one called 80s DJ that chooses songs from the first not played in the last x (can't recall two-three weeks I think) and limited to about 100 songs or so. I then only sync the smartplaylists to my phone and the list refreshes with every sync.

I found this useful guide at another forum read more here:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1154607/smartlist-management-pdf?da=y

Just keep in mind that some of what it writes about is out of date.

12. ghost357 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks for your reply but I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for.
    Let's say I'm looking for an App to make another folder than the default and put the other songs in there with the playlists. That seems the only way I'm not going to mess with the rest of the songs. is there anything?

13. ghost357 thread starter macrumors newbie

DAMN... didn't I make it clear enough in the previous posts? It's obvious that I don't need this. I need to play the whole music list, WITHOUT playing the songs that are on some playlists.

14. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Dude, don't get mad. How about creating a smartplaylist that excludes the playlists but will include everything else. I gave you the tools, and the examples I gave were just to illustrate the point. Or, use the star rating system. I don't know how many songs you have in your library-but you could rate every song in your special playlists say 5 stars and everything else say 3. Create a playlist with only the 3 star rated songs as that would include everything in the music except those special mood lists.

Read it yourself and play with itunes and maybe you'll figure it out.

15. ghost357 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry mate, I didn't meant to be offensive, however rating and putting all the tracks into certain playlists is not exactly what I am looking for as it would take a lot of my time to do that and I have to do this everytime I put new songs in there.
    It could be simplier if there was an app that allows me to add the playlists there and puts those songs into another folder than the default. so everytime I wanna play those lists, I have to go through this app and do so.

16. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

It would be nice if iTunes could guess what songs we want to hear at a certain time, but it just doesn't work that way.

You can create a playlist containing, for example, "Songs I don't want to hear while making love". Then, you can create a smart playlist that includes everything BUT the "songs I don't want to hear while making love" playlist.

Or you can create a smart playlist that includes all songs in the "Rock" genre that are not in the above playlist.

The system can't guess what you don't want to hear; you have to put the specific songs in a playlist, or rate them 1-star and create a smart playlist that excludes 1-star rated songs, etc.

17. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

You can also set certain songs to "skip when shuffling" but this will ALWAYS exclude them from any shuffle.

I think the best way to accomplish what you want, as others have said, is to make a smart playlist that excludes songs from playlists that you don't want to play when shuffling.

18. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

The Smart Playlist is EXACTLY what you're looking for. Create a Smart Playlist that has rules to exclude everything in your other playlists. In the example below, everything that is not in 90s, 00s, and 10s music will be added to the "my music not already in another playlist" playlist.

Attached Files: