iPhone power button is dead and thinking of getting a windows phone...Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steelersfantn, Feb 8, 2012.

1. steelersfantn macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 4, also had the 3g and original iPhone. My power button stopped working so it's a pain to lock the screen, and I can't take screenshots anymore. I also want a larger screen 3.5" doesn't cut it anymore. I know the next iPhone will likely be larger but who knows when it will be released. I imagine July at the earliest.

I really like the look of the Nokia Lumia 900 which is due out in March. I'm a big apple fan owned tons of macs throughout the years and currently own iPad 2, apple tv and macbook pro 13".

Should I make the jump to windows phone or wait for who knows how long for the iPhone 5?

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I played with a Windows phone the other day and quite frankly I think it is the 2nd best phone and OS out there! Behind the iphone and Apple, of course. I like that it is similar to Apple in integrating their ecosystem, like with xbox live and Zune. What I absolutely hate are the 5th grade looking tiles. Once you click on a tile, you get to the regular menu items, but god those tiles are ugly. The OS is butter smooth. Only thing to consider is how it will be out of date within months compared to new Android and the iphone 5 quad cores.

3. steelersfantn thread starter macrumors newbie

Why will it be out of date? Just because of the slow processor?

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I actually have a Windows Phone (HTC Radar) currently after owning quite a few different phones (Android, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile), including the iPhone 3GS. I have to say I am very happy with this phone. The OS is top notch (I'd venture to say it's Apple quality), the hardware is really good, and it runs perfectly every time I pick it up. If you're ever gonna leave the iPhone, a Windows Phone will be your best bet.
    Also, don't listen to Mac.World about the phone becoming out of date. If you look at the features set to be released in the Apollo update will definitely bring the OS on par with iOS and Android. Don't buy into the marketing gimmick of dual cores. No mobile OS currently uses dual core processors effectively. As long as the OS runs without lag and as you want it, then it doesn't matter which processor it uses. Plus Nokia is really ramping up for US releases this year. We'll be seeing some great hardware from them. Yes, currently you might not find every app you want in the marketplace, but that's being fixed on a daily basis with new apps coming out left and right. Essentially the point I'm making is that if you go from iOS to Windows Phone, it'll be a refreshing change that won't suck.

5. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Say what you will about the cores, but if you buy now, I guarantee you'll have buyers remorse in a few months when the iPhone 5 comes out. This was Steve Jobs last project before his death and it will be a major upgrade, and I get the feeling we might see a major OS update at the same time. And if you believe that phones aren'tusing both cores now, and won't be utilizing their quad cores in the future, you are smoking something.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

You do realise that Microsoft is probably well aware of this, as is Nokia/HTC/Samsung, right? Do you really think Microsoft doesn't have plans to match hardware and software updates due to come out this year by other companies (or even surpass them in some cases)? Doesn't the 3GS have a single core processor? It runs iOS 5 just as well as the iPad 2. This works because Apple tailors iOS to support old devices. Microsoft has and will be using this same strategy to ensure some older phones are supported by future updates for some time. If you buy a high end Windows Phone now, there is a very good chance it will still run well by the time the Apollo update is released.
    Also, I never said they won't be utilising multiple cores ever. I have no idea where you pulled that from. I was just stating that the mobile OS choices we have currently are not using multiple cores as effectively as they can. This will obviously change in the future.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

With the new iPhone coming reasonably soon, I would wait. But I must also admit I'm completely happy with everything except the tiny screen.

Perhaps the rumor of a larger screen will materialize. If not I'll try an Android by Samsung.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

3GS doesn't run iOS 5 as well as an iDevice with an A5 chip. Sorry.

You can expect the same type of lag once Apollo rolls out on older single/dual core wp7 phones. Just a fact of technology. Some optimization will occur, but there is only so much an app dev and M$ can do.

All I am trying to get across to the OP is, we are very close to many new phone releases. Now really is not the time to buy, unless you simply don't care.

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Um I happen to have an iPhone 3GS (5.0.1) and an iPad 2 (5.0.1). I can tell you right now looking at both of them that they run the same. The only difference I see is maybe a slightly quicker spotlight search return on my iPad 2 over the 3GS.
    While I do realise this won't be the case forever, I'm sure Microsoft has planned for this because the current released devices are supposed to be what brings more attention and usage to Windows Phone. Ideally there should be very many Windows Phone users of the current Mango devices. Why would Microsoft completely screw all the early adopters over before Windows Phone gains the momentum they want? That would just turn them off to upgrading or recommending Windows Phone to anyone else.
    You have to remember that the first two iPhones (original and 3G) followed a similar pattern. When Apple released the first iPhone, they had no way of being absolutely certain that it would be a hit (just as Microsoft can't be absolutely certain that within the year Windows Phone is a major mobile OS in the market). And then a year later they released the 3G (along with iOS 2). No major changes there, yet still something new to entice more customers. Once it gained momentum, then slowly older devices were dropped out after a reasonable run time. Microsoft knows Apple has the right strategy and they'd be screwed if they didn't follow at least a similar strategy.

10. psonice macrumors 6502a

I have a 3GS, 4S and an iPad 2. The 3GS is slow and laggy compared to the other two. It's still not a bad phone mind, but there's no way you can seriously claim stuff runs at the same speed. Besides which a lot of apps *really* benefit from dual core. Not just the high-end games either, I notice things like my news reader will load the news way faster on my 4s compared to my old 4.

As to the OP's question: I would say wait a while. The early nokia phones are OK, but they're pretty much last-year's spec. I think nokia would have used a dual core chip, but they'll have to wait for microsoft to get the OS ready for it first. Once MS updates the OS you'll probably see much more capable phones appearing very quickly.

Speaking of the OS, WP7 is a good OS, but it's very early in its life - meaning not so much 'beta', more 'not really complete', much like iOS was in the early years. There are still features missing you might miss, and there are still areas that need work.

Besides that, it just hasn't taken off. Think back a year or two: palm also had some great phones with a great new OS. It also didn't really take off. Because of that, developers didn't write for it, it lacked decent apps, and people didn't buy it because without the apps it wasn't of much use compared to iOS / android. Now it's gone of course (and I'm waiting for a stable CM9 release to put android on my touchpad). The same thing is happening so far with WP7: low sales, little developer interest. In a year I hope that will have changed, but buying now you'll be limited to a basic selection of apps and you'll be taking some risk if it doesn't take off.

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

After comparing the two for a longer time side by side, I was coming here to amend my post and put that the 3GS is a tad bit slower, but not completely unusable. Haha it seems you got to me before I could fix it.

OP: essentially it comes down to a few of things....

1. Do you need a new phone right now?
    2. Do you care about having the latest and greatest?

If you can get by for a bit longer, ideally you'll want to wait until the next iPhone and the next set of Windows Phones come out. Then you can compare them side by side and choose accordingly.

12. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Also to the OP:

Are you gonna spend all day just playing around with JUST the OS or are going to expect to actually have to use quality apps at some time in the future?

If you just wanna play with the OS, then fine. But just beware, the applications on the Marketplace are NOWHERE near the quality and quantity as on the iPhone/iPad.

13. cynics macrumors G4

Go for it!

There will always be new tech coming out. Every iPhone release has had more lackluster then the last since its inception. Why wait to be disappointed? You want a bigger screen, meanwhile phones with bigger screens have been around for years.

The 4s is my first iPhone, I've had it for about a month and I'm already bored with it. It doesnt do half the stuff I'd like it to do so even though the 4s is supplied for free by my work I'm still debating windows or android at my own expense. Lol

What's the worst thing that can happen? You miss the iPhone. You can always sell the Nokia and pick up an iPhone. Then you'll be one of the few people on this forum that can actually comment on this instead of the "I played with one" "my friends dad has one" etc etc bs.