iPhone pre-orders - how does it work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Allenbf, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Allenbf macrumors 6502

I have an upgrade available through Verizon. If the iPhone is up for pre-order the 12th or 14th, whichever, what is the best way to pre-order and still get my upgrade?

Can I do this through Apple? Or will I have to go through Verizon? Last question, if I have to go through VZ, will I have to wait until the 21st to order it?

Thanks very much, this is the first time I've considered buying an iPhone this close to release date.

2. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

I also want to know whats in bold.

Does Verizon do preorders too?

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

As discussed at length the past few days, you can do it via VZ or Apple.

You have to wait until it is available to order. That date will be announced on Wednesday. (if you went to the VZ website, you do not see the I-5, right?)

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

See the search at the top? Click that. It's mighty helpful.

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

You can go through Apple or Verizon - whichever is easier for you (both will do pre-orders). Both have mechanisms in place to check and verify your eligibility prior to pre-orders beginning.

Good luck.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Order via the Apple Store app.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

There have been MORE THAN 40 threads started within the last month concerning pre-orders. I'm willing to bet mine, that the answer to your question is just a few clicks away.

8. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Or that. I've actually had a lot of luck doing that in the past. It seems less congested when the rush hits.

9. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

this is a tough one, lets see.

1. open computer
    2. go to apple site
    3. order iphone...

whew... that was confusing:cool:

my next lesson will be how to open a door.... its another tough read, but well worth it if you plan on entering or leaving a room.

10. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Unlocked iPhone will be available on the same date?

11. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I'll attempt to get an answer in this thread rather than start a new one...

How does pre orders work when pre ordering two phones online?

Do I have to go through the order process twice, once for each line or will I be able to select two phones on my family plan and order both in one order?

I'm thinking about ordering from Apple.com for the first time. I usually go through Best Buy and might want to avoid the stress this year and spend my gift cards on other things.

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

We don't know yet but last year they were not available for pre-order in the US but about 30 days behind the launch.

Dave

----------

Today you would have to order each iphone one at a time at Apple.

So you would have to go through the purchase process twice! You enter each phone number and check the features / verify the existing features that you want to keep and complete the purchase.

Dave

13. aktick macrumors newbie

Much like the above question, I'm interested in pre-ordering 2 phones (on the same new account which we don't have yet), switching from US Cellular to Verizon, but NOT porting the numbers. We both just want new numbers, clean slate, new account. Will I be able to order both at once? Recommendations for doing this?

(I'm sure this has been asked, but I waded through search results for 45 minutes and didn't find this particular scenario, so sorry if I just missed the answer. :eek:)

Thanks for any help. :)

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Even if it's 2 lines on one bill with a shared plan, it's 2 orders, so yours will be 2 as well. Chat with an Apple sales rep if you want to be certain.

15. Gib macrumors member

Gib

Next unrelated question regarding preordering.

Might as well have fewer threads, so I'll post here.

I know you can preorder online/in store, but is it possible to over-the-phone with either apple or the carrier (sp. Sprint)? We're off to Yellowstone for a week, and I doubt I'll get much wifi access...

16. Allenbf thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to everyone who answered this without putting your head up yer arse to do so.

I did do a search for this, obviously I missed the answers. If you don't like seeing the thread, don't answer it. Simple, yes?

17. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

well, here's something to consider. I was asking the same question on here not too long ago... Someone (kindly) pointed out that while you have the option to buy from either Apple or Verizon, Apple has the ability/technology in-place to recoginze if you're eligible for an upgrade and the price will reflect this on the apple site HOWEVER you may also be eligible for an additional "loyalty" discount via Verizon. I was told that this would NOT be accounted for if you pre-order through apple.

To check: Log into your verizon account. On the main page, you should see a picture of your device in the upper-left quadrant of the page. Close to this, you'll see a button labeled "get upgrade status" (under the words "All devices on my account"). Click on this. After loading, it will show you the devices and eligibility for your account. See the screenshot below and note what I have outlined in red. This is the portion that I've been told can NOT be reflected when purchasing from Apple.

Personally, I've pre-ordered the latest iPad from Apple (for my wife's b-day) and it was easy. I've never pre-ordered from Verizon before. I'm hoping for success!

Attached Files:

18. aktick macrumors newbie

Thanks...so that's my plan. And talking to Verizon they said I could merge the accounts one we get the phones. Anybody know if there's a fee for merging?

19. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I merged my wife and I onto one account just before we got married.

The "fee" was that it took almost 4 hours in-store for them to figure out how to do it and once it was done, the CSR had mis-spoke and although we WERE creating a new account, they would NOT bump our eligibility date. That was the whole reason for doing it as my phone was getting crappy and I needed a new one (pre-smartphone) so I asked if we got on our own plans (versus being a 2nd or 3rd on our existing family plans), if we could get a discounted rate on a phone. SURE THING! they said... All that headache for nothing.

20. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I tried for hours via both apple.com and att.com last year, starting at 3 am EST, with absolutely no luck. Got through with the Apple store app right away (well, after I went back to bed for a couple of hours. But still.) IINM, the app was the way I was able to get a reservation for the iP4 as well (couldn't preorder due to whatever technological ridiculousness was happening when the preorders started.) I'll definitely try it again this time around.

21. nostresshere macrumors 68030

No matter how much you prefer the APPLE website, it is beyond my feeble brain to understand why somebody would not log into their account at VZ or ATT to see what it says about upgrades, cost, etc.

Might not be the same? etc. etc.