Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think the 2017 premium iPhone will be called?

• iPhone Pro

Votes: 36 34.6%
  • iPhone 8

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • iPhone X

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • iPhone Edition

Votes: 33 31.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

malikkamran

Suspended
Oct 6, 2016
Pakistan
I have regular and plus never able to cross 5 hour mark thought I had a dud so went through 3 iPhone still same poor battery life I don't know how you pulling such great numbers
Correct. I've had it at about 50% brightness most of the day, and while I don't use battery intensive apps much, and haven't watched any video, it's still impressive.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Let's wait until we see it. If there's one thing that is certain it's that concept artists have never gotten remotely close to the actual products software-wise.

Crazy for me to say but if the next iPhone looks like the S8, I'd be happy. The 'handle bar' at the top of the display looks dreadful
in the iPhone mockups.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I know! And you know what's really funny? They'll try one more time for next year after this year passes due to the Plus-sized OLED coming next year. They'll say something like, 'well the Plus-sized OLED makes more sense for 'Pro' anyway'. Hopefully after 2018 they'll finally give it a rest though. It's never happening.
"Air" is another one that used to get tossed around a lot. Think they finally gave up on that one :D

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
"Air" is another one that used to get tossed around a lot. Think they finally gave up on that one :D
I stated I didn't believe it would be Air, but it's the best possible example to describe what I mean though

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
People have been saying it'll be called "pro" since the iPhone 6 days :rolleyes:

I was just thinking this earlier today. I remember before the iPhone 6s launched, rumors were circulating that the next iPhone would be called "Pro". Now that's been over two years and it still never happened. I think some translate the word 'Pro' into their mind and they think it sounds good, but logically it's not a practical term for an iPhone at all.

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
San Diego, CA
You're all too hung up on dated marketing. Pro now doesn't mean what it did 15 years ago. I like uniformity across a product range, and based on moves they've made over the last couple years, Apple's marketing team does as well.

Arguably, the 13" MacBook Pro and 10.5" iPad Pro are the mainstream models of their respective product families...and clearly aimed at non-professionals. The 12" MacBook and standard iPad are compromised products aimed at very specific demographics; ultra-portability for the former and a low price point for the latter. Pro sounds classy. It sounds premium. It's good marketing.

'Edition' has only been used to identify a very premium niche product that appears to have limited production and wasnt even sold in all Apple stores, at least initially. Why some think that's a more appropriate label for a phone that's surely going to become a mainstream, very common product is baffling to me.

Last edited:

FairArrows

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2017
2017:
iPhone 8
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone 8x

2018:
iPhone 9
iPhone 9 Plus
iPhone 9x
iPhone 9x Plus

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
You're all too hung up on dated marketing. Pro now doesn't mean what it did 15 years ago. I like uniformity across a product range, and based on moves they've made over the last couple years, Apple's marketing team does as well.

Arguably, the 13" MacBook Pro and 10.5" iPad Pro are the mainstream models of their respective product families...and clearly aimed at non-professionals. The 12" MacBook and standard iPad are compromised products aimed at very specific demographics; ultra-portability for the former and a low price point for the latter. Pro sounds classy. It sounds premium. It's good marketing.

'Edition' has only been used to identify a very premium niche product that appears to have limited production and wasnt even sold in all Apple stores, at least initially. Why some think that's a more appropriate label for a phone that's surely going to become a mainstream, very common product is baffling to me.
No. You're dead wrong. Those products are NOT aimed at the vast majority of customers.

Do you want to know what products Apple sells in those lines that are aimed at the vast majority of customers? Okay, I'll tell you:

The new iPad that is $329. It is for the vast majority of customers. Why? Because it is cheap and does what 98% of people use iPads for: surfing the web and watching Netflix and the like.

The MacBook is for the vast majority as it's cheaper, lighter, and more portable in compromise of speed and battery. This is for 98% of people who don't need powerful laptops.

This is the reality and why there will never be an iPhone Pro. Sorry.
[doublepost=1502646692][/doublepost]
iPhone Prime. You can quote me later! ;)
That's really good honestly. It's categorically superior to 'iPhone Pro' or 'iPhone Edition' which both make no sense.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
2017:
iPhone 8
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone 8x

2018:
iPhone 9
iPhone 9 Plus
iPhone 9x
iPhone 9x Plus
The problem with these is that they don't draw any immediate interest from customers to see what this new device has. If ever Apple needed a new marketing term attached to iPhone, it's now, when sales are stagnating and interest in new iPhones is waning due to incremental updates the previous 3 years. See this year Apple REALLY needs a new marketing term attached to it to draw customer attention.

Just think about new headlines for September 6th, 2017, and what would get more attention, clicks, and discussion:

'Apple announces iPhone 8' (nope)

'Apple announces iPhone Pro' (nope)

'Apple announces iPhone Infinity' (yep)

I don't think it will be Infinity, but this is a good example of what I mean. It would draw attention.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
IMG_7281.jpg
I find it funny how some have said that next year with a bigger OLED model, it'll be called iPhone Pro Plus. Please!

Regardless of "Pro" tech aimed at more professional users or whatever, iPhone Pro just doesn't sound right at all.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
No. You're dead wrong. Those products are NOT aimed at the vast majority of customers.

Do you want to know what products Apple sells in those lines that are aimed at the vast majority of customers? Okay, I'll tell you:

The new iPad that is $329. It is for the vast majority of customers. Why? Because it is cheap and does what 98% of people use iPads for: surfing the web and watching Netflix and the like.

The MacBook is for the vast majority as it's cheaper, lighter, and more portable in compromise of speed and battery. This is for 98% of people who don't need powerful laptops.

This is the reality and why there will never be an iPhone Pro. Sorry.
[doublepost=1502646692][/doublepost]
That's really good honestly. It's categorically superior to 'iPhone Pro' or 'iPhone Edition' which both make no sense.

I dissagree, people buy the iPad Pro because of it's bigger screen, Apple Pencil and so on. The MacBook Pro is the best seller and the vast majority of people with Mac laptops do go for a MacBook Pro.

The word "Pro" is a very broad term because there are so many careers and jobs that can be defined as "professional"

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
I dissagree, people buy the iPad Pro because of it's bigger screen, Apple Pencil and so on. The MacBook Pro is the best seller and the vast majority of people with Mac laptops do go for a MacBook Pro.

The word "Pro" is a very broad term because there are so many careers and jobs that can be defined as "professional"
Face palm. Pro has already been stated by Apple to mean devices designed with professional COMPUTER users in mind. This means graphics artists, editors, writers, game designers, etc etc

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Awhile the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro can meet different definitions for professionals in the field for productivity, an iPhone is not a Pro device. And it never will be. In short, it's a comparison between a phone and a computer. That's why the term "Pro" will never translate into the iPhone. Camera upgrades or other technology does not make the iPhone a Pro device, because it's not classified as a computer in terms of what others can accomplish on it for work development requirements, similarly to what someone could do on a MacBook.

If there was one thing I feel confident on with the iPhone 8, it certainly will not be labeled Pro.

Reactions: 9594864

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Face palm. Pro has already been stated by Apple to mean devices designed with professional COMPUTER users in mind. This means graphics artists, editors, writers, game designers, etc etc

Face palm. Apple have specifically (Phil Schiller himself) said that the word "Pro" is a broad term! And I quote;

"Phil Schiller:
Yeah, yeah. First of all, when we talk about pro customers, it’s important to be clear that there isn’t one prototypical pro customer. Pro is such a broad term, and it covers many many categories of customers. And we care about all of these categories, and there’s a variety of different products those customers want."

People still buy the MacBook Pro and the iPad Pro regardless, do they need it? That's a different question but people still buy them.
[doublepost=1502648459][/doublepost]
Awhile the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro can meet different definitions for professionals in the field for productivity, an iPhone is not a Pro device. And it never will be. In short, it's a comparison between a phone and a computer. That's why the term "Pro" will never translate into the iPhone. Camera upgrades or other technology does not make the iPhone a Pro device, because it's not classified as a computer in terms of what others can accomplish on it for work development requirements, similarly to what someone could do on a MacBook.

If there was one thing I feel confident on with the iPhone 8, it certainly will not be labeled Pro.

That's my point, I don't mean the iPhone I was referring to what the other person was saying that the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro is only for a specific type of people which is very difficult to pin point because "Pro" is a very broad term as Apple themselves have said.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That's my point, I don't mean the iPhone I was referring to what the other person was saying that the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro is only for a specific type of people which is very difficult to pin point because "Pro" is a very broad term as Apple themselves have said.

That's what I thought you meant, thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: Dave245

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Face palm. Apple have specifically (Phil Schiller himself) said that the word "Pro" is a broad term! And I quote;

"Phil Schiller:
Yeah, yeah. First of all, when we talk about pro customers, it’s important to be clear that there isn’t one prototypical pro customer. Pro is such a broad term, and it covers many many categories of customers. And we care about all of these categories, and there’s a variety of different products those customers want."

People still buy the MacBook Pro and the iPad Pro regardless, do they need it? That's a different question but people still buy them.
[doublepost=1502648459][/doublepost]

its the broad range of professional computer users. In other words, the list I gave including the word 'etc.'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.