iPhone Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JetBlack7, Jul 26, 2013.

1. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I don't know what just happened but I synced my iPhone with my iTunes and all contacts were gone. I didn't check anything and they just disappeared. How do I retrieve them for example from iCloud?

2. zmagik macrumors regular

Are you sure you didn't press anything In iTunes

3. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I double checked and I might have checked the contacts, synced and then checked again and synced. But does that mean that they erased my contacts?

4. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

If you sync contacts with icloud, go to 'iCloud' in 'settings' and turn on 'contacts'. You might have accidentally turned it off.

Otherwise, restoring your phone from a backup is your only hope as far as I know.

5. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Aw damn! Well, restoring it is then :S Thank you both for your help! Cheers

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Did you ever do a backup to your computer/laptop? I do this once a month to be safe.

7. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

Before you do that, check the time and date of the backup. Since you mentioned you synced twice on iTunes...the auto backup is likely the one generated the last time you synced (ie. the one likely doesnt have any contact.)

Maybe try to go to icloud.com and see if there is any contacts, unless you are 100% sure you have never used icloud. (Ie. you turned it off yourself before) if there were some contacts there, you could simply get them on your phone via settings -> icloud -> turn on 'contacts'

8. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I actually have my contacts on icloud, but never use icloud. Can I restore them via icloud and then turn it off again?

I have a backup, but its after the erase.

9. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

Yes, turn it on as I said before, then turn it off once those contacts are downloaded to your phone (this will be done automatically). When you turn it off, it will ask you whether you wanna keep those contacts on your phone, click 'yes'.

Just keep in mind, sync contacts with icloud wouldn't waste a lot of battery or mobile data and it would be handy in situations like this, so I would recommend you to leave it on.

10. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Thank you for the warning and help ;)

11. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

Glad I could help. :)