iPhone Prototypes (2006)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Jul 26, 2012.

1. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

2. MACis122 macrumors regular

So the other one is obviously the iPhone 5 haha

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Most renders don't go out of their way to include smudge marks, dirt, and wear... and are usually in sharp focus.

5. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

I was just kidding. Chillax.

6. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

These are actual photographs Apple gave to the court (you know, Samsung vs Apple).

7. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

the white one looks suspiciously similar to the nokia lumia 900.

8. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

it actually reminds me of the older gen ipod mini's that were out around that time.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I agree. Looks good too. Apple doing a polycarbonate unibody iPhone would be slick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

the right one reminds me of those mp3 players that were popular years ago... i think it was zune? or something? the left one looks close to the iphone 4.

11. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Wow, so Apple pulled their design from 2006 for the iPhone 4... Interesting. They were really ahead of the game in '06, or they've been out of fresh ideas since then.

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I actually really, really like those signal bars

----------

strangely enough, the recent renders based off the "leaked" iPhone 5 case DID include smudge/fingerprint marks...it was a nice touch to help better approximate what the design would look like in actual usage scenarios

13. Savor Suspended

Savor

Apple got that iPhone 4-like prototype inspired from a SONY designer.

But don't be surprised if companies have a designs for the next 5 yrs or so. A concept design they came up with in 2009 might be ready by 2014. Always have to think ahead like 5+ years time.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Incorrect. You're reading the story wrong.

Unless you think the iPhone was inspired by this, because this is the product Sony was referring to, and it took the minimal simple approach from the iPod in 2001.

[​IMG]

15. RyanF macrumors newbie

16. Savor Suspended

Savor

I never said Apple tried to copy them directly. But it has been known for years that Steve Jobs wanted to be like Sony. The fact is, nobody can really be truly original. Some people get inspiration from others and improve on those ideas. You build upon the shoulders and backs from the ones that came before you. Sony back in the 80's and 90's is what Apple and Samsung is today. They practically invented the consumer electronic market. Apple always looked up to Sony back then. Even the camera on the 4s is manufactured by Sony. It was Sony that helped improve on the back-illuminated sensors. It is only ironic that Sony Pictures now has the rights to the Steve Jobs movie.

Read this article -
    http://www.sonyrumors.net/2011/10/11/steve-jobs-wanted-apple-sony/

Watch this video of SJ praising Sony -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=_A3qoyVbbho

17. Technarchy, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Okay, but your statement that a Sony designer inspired the design of the iPhone4 is still factually incorrect based upon the current public information we have on this matter.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Right, based on the info we have, the Sony guy didn't visually inspire the design. However, apparently his interview about using a simple rounded shape and wishing he could've used fewer or no buttons, did.

This is just one of those common cases where good designers think the same way. What makes the real difference is whether or not the bosses use those designs in actual products. That was Jobs' real contribution.

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That's still describing the iPod, which dates back to a 2001 release, and certainly sooner from a prototype and testing standpoint.

20. TurnTronics macrumors member

One looks like the iPod Nano 2nd Gen and the other looks like the iPhone 4. Funny how the form factor for the iPhone 2G was completely different!

21. alent1234 macrumors 603

there was a sony phone around that time with the all the way around antenna but small screen.

i think apple is going to lose the case on the design aspect but win on some of the technical patents like the rubber band one