iPhone Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nick A, May 27, 2013.

1. Nick A macrumors regular

I've owned every iPhone since the 3G, but seeing as how Android phones are starting to become more popular and I was curious I decided to get a Galaxy S4 a few days ago.

Now I have a completely serious question, how can Apple still produce a phone like the current iPhone 5 and continue to sell them? It's almost an embarrassment to the company. Really I can't find one way in which the iPhone is better then the Galaxy in software or hardware, except maybe for iMessage which I find useful.

Really the Galaxy is a better phone in every single way imaginable, in features, performance, weight, battery life, customization(only thing I can change on the iPhone is the wallpaper). Before I get flamed I currently have an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S4 sitting in-front of me but and I'm being completely unbiased, but my question/debate is do people really still think the iPhone can even be considered a competitor?

2. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

Do you have any reason for starting this thread other than to start a riot?

3. Nick A thread starter macrumors regular

I'm legitimately curious to see what people think the iPhone has over the other top of the line smart phones.

4. Nathan21585 macrumors member

You know I recently purchased an S3. I got it cheap and want to see if I liked it. I used it for a day and while there was some things I liked about it, I switched back the next day. What I like about the iPhone just out weights what I like about the S3 in every way.

5. ipaclansite macrumors member

Its the ecosystem that allows them to sell iPhones. The fact that settings/contacts are up in iCloud and large investment in apps and/or music is the price you pay when someone switches.

Sure the S3 or S4 have higher performance, better customization, etc. But the other thing is that people want something that looks and feels at home, while having something that just works. There are people who don't want to customize, or care about performance. They want a great a phone, that works with what they've had before, and something that feels familiar to them.

I've only had an iPhone, but I have used Android devices before, its mainly the ecosystem that has made me keep my iPhone. On top of that, I have the security knowing that if there is anything wrong with it, I can always bring it to an Apple Store :p I don't think there is a Samsung store anywhere in the city where I can bring it to in the event of some hardware issue or something.

I also feel much more "secure" (as in not breaking software wise) jailbreaking my iPhone as opposed to rooting an android device (and loading custom roms) its very risky business, and one wrong move can render the android device a very expensive brick. Apparently its virtually impossible to brick an iPhone.

The iPhone also has a relatively high resale value, I'm more willing to put it in a case, put a screen protector and take extra care protecting it, so I can resell and perhaps get an upgrade.

I think I wrote alot so here is the tdlr summary.

• Ecosystem
    • Familiarity
    • Apple Store
    • Safe Jailbreaking
    • Resale Value

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

For me, the iPhone feels more right. I HATE the giant android phones. They feel huge in my hands and hard to use. I went from a blackberry storm 2 to the iPhone 5. The blackberry had a metal back, so I didn't like the plastic feel of android. My dad also had the original Motorola droid and hated it after a while. He also had a Samsung omnia (an older windows phone), and it was a piece of junk, although my old Samsung flip phone was very sturdy. I also like the easy of use of iOS. Customization doesn't really matter to me. What does is how easily I can put music from iTunes onto the iPhone. I also have a MacBook, so I'm invested in the ecosystem. Granted I have gmail and other google apps, but they're just as easy to use on the iPhone as anything else. Android just wasn't for me.

7. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

this is a classic troll/flame topic. the right answer to your question is: because it has a bitten apple on the back! :D

8. Troneas, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013

Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

No one denies the iphone is losing ground. The proof is in the pudding, but there are reasons such as those described in previous posts (regardless of how small they may seem) that still keep people using iphones.

For my part the customer support, peace of mind, iCloud and the ecosystem are important, as well as holding a phone that's not made of plastic and bigger than my hand.

I kinda found the best of both worlds by jailbreaking it.

9. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

I was a big Android lover a couple years ago. Had every flagship phone when released and rooted shortly after. I only switched to an Iphone because of work.
    Honestly, I cannot even touch an Android phone now. I have to mess with my girlfriend's son's GS3 sometimes and I am quickly reminded why I have been sticking with iphones.
    Its got some cool features, but the OS feels clunky.

Not taking away from any of the Androids as they are great phones, I just dont prefer the OS anymore.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Short answer: Because is STILL the standard every other phones compare to.

Long answer: Discussed ad-nauseum here, browse freely if you are curious.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

How does Apple sell them? The same way they got you to buy every iPhone since the 3G. Not everyone wants something different. I know people who won't look at anything outside of iOS because they don't want to learn something new. Different reasons for different people.

The place where I see the real competition is new users. Sure people switch here and there, but those who have never used a mobile OS are te ones you want to capture. Statistically if you use iOS you will stay iOS. Use android, stay android. So whatever you pick up first is likely what you will keep falling back to. Honestly, both operating systems more than adequately fulfill the average user's needs. People on sites like this are the power users and the enthusiasts. They don't represent the average joe.