iPhone randomly starts playing iTunes music

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Taxer, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Taxer macrumors newbie

My iPhone (3GS) has developed a new and annoying anomoly. On its own its starts playing music from the iTunes songs that I've synched to it, often when the iPhone is in my pocket. Ordinarily I don't even know this is happening unless I hear faint music coming from the earphones and then sometimes I find that the battery is worn way down because it has been playing for some time. There is no particular logic to the particular music it starts up. I am not doing anything consciously to start the music. I haven't clicked on the Music app or selected a piece or playlist. It just happens. I tried restoring factory settings and resynched from backup but that did not fix the problem. This started occurring within the past week or so. It has not happened before that in the several years I've owned this phone. Anyone having this issue? Is there a fix?

Thanks.

2. Taxer thread starter macrumors newbie

A possibility

Following up on my original post, the problem I described seems to coincide with my purchase of new headphones (SL49 .by Ludicrous) last week. It also seems to happen when I have these plugged into my iPhone and, oftentimes, when the phone is in my pocket with the headphone cord wrapped around it. There is a control on the cord that can adjust volume and also can start and stop songs and scroll forward and back. I left the earphones unplugged today and the problem has not recurred so far. Coincidence?

I'm wondering if normal jostling of the cord and controller in my pocket is somehow activating iTunes and starting a song playing.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is this a plausible explanation?

Thanks

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I think you've answered your own question. It sounds like the headphones have a fault in the cord or the control that is signaling your phone to start the music. Either that or the control is being activated somehow while it's in your pocket. You might try exchanging the headphones, if you can.