iPhone randomly switches from 3g to edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JohnPyn, Feb 26, 2013.

1. JohnPyn macrumors member

Hi everyone, I was wondering why my iPhone 4s (whivh is jailbroken in ios 6.1.2) randomly switches from 3g to edge. Basically even if the signal's at full strength sometimes which is very often it switches to edge and if I stay still (I mean without moving so that the signal doesn't change) and I turn off and on 3g through sbsettings then I'm on 3g once again or better I am until next switch occurs. Sometimes even if I'm at the same place so where the signal doesn't change the 3g will switch to edge which is just really too slow to do anything, where I live it is at least, not sure about other parts of the world. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks a lot in advance, I'll appreciate any help.

John

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. JohnPyn thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I tried that but no luck, I've downloaded iControl from cydia which works but the signal is just terrible, where I may have had max signal I almost have none or very little

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird, maybe its a faulty iphone?
    You can get it replaced if its still under warranty.

5. JohnPyn thread starter macrumors member

It's not anymore unfortunately, I was reading about 3g and EDGE and I read that it switches to EDGE when there's not enough signal but when should it switch back? When there's full signal or a little? I've been checking it out the whole day and I noticed that most of the times it switches back to 3g when there's full signal for a few mins, so the transation takes a few mins and if I want to make it faster I have to go to SBSettings and manually disable and renable 3g then it works virtually every single time. Thanks a lot for helping me out, I really appreciate it, you're really very kind

6. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

My iPhone 4s with Sprint does that. Seems that it has to do with signal strength and how often the phone 'probes' for a better signal. Sometimes in my cubical at work, at the same position it gives 3G or Edge.

If you turn on airplane mode and switch it back it picks 3G.

Here is an interesting thing though: A lot of times it would show the Edge icon, but you perfrom a speed test and realize that indeed it is 3G. Both the signal strength and data type indicators are not real time BTW, there is a delay.

7. CosmicDice macrumors member

I have noticed Apples plan to make better batterylife. I have iPhone 4s and it works like this. When you are not using set and phone is idle, it's many times on edge. But as you start using your phone it turns to 3G.

I can see the pattern and I'm sure it's Apples plan to make batterylife better as your iPhone dont hang on 3G all the time.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, I see.
    Yes sometimes with my i5 it will take a while to switch back to LTE again.
    And like you said the only way to make it switch faster is to do it manually turn off lte and then back on.
    I dont think there's much more we can do though.

9. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

It's funny, rarely if ever does my iPhone switch to edge. And I have a weak 3G signal so many times.

10. JohnPyn thread starter macrumors member

It's actually working a little better now that I reset the network settings as you said, did that 3 times though but it's working better, thanks a lot for help!

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced