iPhone repair rental unboxing photos

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Can you imagine any other phone manufacturer going to this much trouble? This is reason alone to go with Apple.
When I got mine back, it turned out to be a brand new iPhone. The box that the replacement came in looked like a mini-me version of the regular retail box. It was pretty nice. :)

My only complaint is that I wish Apple wouldn't charge for the loaner phone...

Been there, done that.

Twice.
And no pictures? Sheeeeesh. j/k j/k :D

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
did you have to pay for your loaner?

my iphone camera died yesterday. i went ot the 24 hour 5th ave store at 1am and they gave me a loaner.

i gave them my sad puppy eyes and the dude gave in to my jedi mind powers requesting he waive the $30 :)

iNicholas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I did pay for the loaner phone but my boss got me my iphone so I'm probably not as upset about it as I should be.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
Wow, that's awesome. I agree with aristobrat on this topic. No other company would give you a temporary $600 device while yours is being repaired.

bluesman87

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
I just took mine in to get the vibrate button replaced since it stopped working completely. The guy gave me a loaner phone and never mentioned paying for it so I never said anything. My friend even knocked it out of my hands at a party and it hit the asphalt. It dinged up the back but when i took it in to get my (seemingly brand new) iPhone they never said anything about that either. Pretty easy!!:):apple:

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
my ear speaker stopped working. They said they were going to charge me for a loaner, but then they looked up my account, and said they'd give me a free one. I've bought A LOT of computers from them.

iAmLegend

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
I was charged $31 for my loaner phone, and so were the 3 other people I know who had to have their phone repaired. If I have another problem with this phone (through no fault of my own of course) I am going to ask for a new phone, because I shouldn't have to end up paying over $660 for this phone when it was a.) expensive to begin with, b.) under warranty, and c.) I had nothing to do with the defect (in case anyone is curious, my iPhone stopped getting phone service everywhere for no obvious reason.) Waiting almost a week without a phone while it gets repaired is not an option in this day and age, especially if your cellphone doubles as your home phone...so charging that much money for a loaner is just taking advantage of people who have no other choice.

Shame on you :apple:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Wow, that's awesome. I agree with aristobrat on this topic. No other company would give you a temporary $600 device while yours is being repaired.
Apple should do it for free to everyone, considering they stole the ~$350 carrier subsidy buyers should've gotten as the customer. Heck, they should give everyone a massage, dinner and a ride home.

As for loaners, people are quite often given temporary $50,000+ devices (cars) while one is being repaired.

:)

alanisrox69

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
I've had to do this too, in my opinion it makes no sense for them to send a loaner phone, they should just send a new phone right off the bat and avoid double shipping.

-Derek-

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Or they should just swap out phones like a normal company should.
exactly. when a key on my blackberry 8700 got sticky they just sent me a replacement and i sent the old one back. that's how cell phone defects should be taken care of.

i can understand paying $30 for a loaner if you're getting a cracked screen repaired, or if the phone has other self-inflicted damage... but to make people pay for a loaner on a somewhat buggy (altho wonderful) 1st generation phone is almost criminal.

LiquidDonut

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
On a side note, I just sent my iPhone in today for the "white dot" problem which the Apple Care rep said it was a defective LCD. Does anyone know what to expect as far as turnaround, I doubt they will take apart the phone to replace the LCD so I bet they just send a new phone. Anyone had this done?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
On a side note, I just sent my iPhone in today for the "white dot" problem which the Apple Care rep said it was a defective LCD. Does anyone know what to expect as far as turnaround, I doubt they will take apart the phone to replace the LCD so I bet they just send a new phone. Anyone had this done?
It took a total of three business days for mine.

I dropped it off at the Genius Bar around noon Monday, they overnighted it to the Repair Depot who got it and overnighted a replacement back on Tuesday, arriving first thing Wednesday. Total time was slightly under 48 hours, but spread over three days.

LiquidDonut

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
It took a total of three business days for mine.

I dropped it off at the Genius Bar around noon Monday, they overnighted it to the Repair Depot who got it and overnighted a replacement back on Tuesday, arriving first thing Wednesday. Total time was slightly under 48 hours, but spread over three days.
So I may be lucky and get it back on Thursday. Also, was your white dot problem resolved?