iPhone replacement battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iClive, Apr 29, 2012.

1. iClive macrumors regular

Like many, I'm getting pretty poor battery life from my iPhone 4, so I've been looking at a simple replacement to see if this improves anything.

Being loathe to pay the £100/$100 charged for the "full service", I've been looking at doing it myself. Having seen what's involved, I am happy that I can do the job but I do have some questions :

1. Supposedly genuine Apple replacement batteries retail around the £9 mark - how can I tell if it's "OEM"?

2. Like for like replacements retail for roughly half that price - what do I need to look out for here? Surely Apple simply buy their batteries in from a trusted and probably well known supplier?

3. My main concern of course is whether the cheaper replacements could "fry" or otherwise damage the phone. Does anyone have any experience of this?

4. The final question is about so called "high capacity gold" replacement batteries. The OEM iPhone 4 battery is apparently rated at around 1,240mAh whereas these claim up to 2,450mAh, ie almost double. These retail for little more than the OEM replacements. Does anyone have any experience about the effectiveness and reliability of these?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

There's no such thing as OEM replacements you will only ever find guaranteed official apple parts at apple stores or authorized service providers.

The non official parts do work well though as long as you buy from a good company £9 sounds to cheap. A good battery replacement would go for about $50-100US. The best site to buy from is ifixit they are the most trustworthy.

Also replacing the battery isn't as easy as it seems and it is possible to break the phone if you make a mistake, so keep that in mind if you wish to go ahead. You will also have to buy the correct tools.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd only consider replacement batteries from iFixit. If they don't have them, Apple is the best option.

4. NewtonApple macrumors member

No way a battery that is the same size and uses the same chemistry could have double the capacity. There are laws of physics involved here and if it could be done, Apple would have done it.

I would bite the bullet and get the OEM if you need another battery.

Before I installed a new battery I would make sure that it was defective.

5. yui4 macrumors 6502

i bought a replacement battery from mendmyi in the uk, cost £20.

ive had no problems with it, its been 2 weeks now since i fitted it