iPhone Replacement question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nigameash, Feb 5, 2012.

1. nigameash, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

nigameash macrumors 6502

Apple is replacing my iPhone with a brand new iPhone but according to Apple's service and support coverage, my repairs and service coverage expires on the same date as when my old iPhone's was supposed to.

Shouldn't Apple be providing me one complete year of warranty(repairs and service coverage) on a brand new device?

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

No Your warrantee covers from the start of the purchase of your iPhone... not the replacement.

3. govindtalks macrumors newbie

iphone replacement question

Any product replacement and warranty starts from the date of purchase.
    So no single company will ensure a new warranty from the replacement date.
    But since you are talking about Apple, It has the worst customer service.
    For any replacement or repair you have to deposit the phone and wait for a long time to get it back properly.
    Huh.... very annoying even by paying a high price

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No they won't do that. Otherwise you'd get a new phone from them annually under the warranty. If you're original purchase date is less than 30 or 90 (can't remember which) days from the replacement though, you get an extra 1-3 months to make sure the replacement is OK.

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

You are sooo lost!

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You're implying that if you receive a replacement within a certain number of days of purchase that you will get a month or so of extra coverage - why would they do that when the owner would still have 9 or 10 months of coverage left as it is? That's plenty of time to figure out if the replacement unit is alright.

What Apple actually does is they will extend support for 90 days from the day the replacement unit is given - if you get a replacement only six months into your warranty, then technically you get no kind of extension at all, as that 90 days will expire before the initial one-year warranty. However if you receive a replacement with, say, 10 days warranty remaining, then your coverage is extended for a further 80 days from the initial warranty expiry (90 days from the issuing of the replacement).

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Technically no, your warranty transfers over from your iphone to the replaced iphone that you currently have. So if you purchased on 10/14/11, when you replace a phone at the apple store, your replacement will go for the same 10/13/12. Apple never extends or resets the warranty when you get it replaced.

Another case is, if your phone is out of warranty and you need a replacement, they can replacement with a fee but will only extend the warranty for 90 days for the replacement phone.

8. iFiend macrumors 65816

Not sure if I was an exception to the rule or not, but when I got my new iPhone 4 replacement, I was given a new 1 year warranty.

Story- after 4 replacement iPhone 4's, for various reasons, and my current refurb having 4 dead pixels, I called Apple (instead of going back to the Apple store) and asked what they would do for me. They offered to send me a brand-new, in the box w/ accessories, straight-of-the line retail replacement. With it, I was given a brand new 1 year warranty.

It was a nice selling point when I sold it 6 weeks later to get a white iPhone 4 ;)

9. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

What were the 4 replacements for (what issue for each replacement?)

I have a dead pixel on my 4S and don't want to go through multiple replacements

10. iFiend macrumors 65816

1st - broken sleep/wake button
    2nd - unresponsive home button
    3rd - poor/hot battery
    4th - dead pixels

Don't know if they hand inspected/hand picked my retail replacement that came from Shenzhen or what, but it was perfect :cool:

11. nigameash thread starter macrumors 6502

I got my replacement iPhone in the mail yesterday. Dead pixels. Apple is sending me another replacement unit now.

12. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

I bought my iPhone 4s on launch day and have had it replaced 4 times.

The first 3 replacements were refurbished from my local Apple store. The warranty date stayed the same as my original purchase date (October 14, 2011).

The 4th replacement came from AppleCare and it was a brand new sealed iPhone. My new warranty date is January 5, 2012 which is when I received the new replacement unit.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your logic doesnt make sense.
    They give you a year warranty total from your initial purchase date.
    You cant go and have your phone replaced after 11 months for example and get another full year of warranty on the replacement and another 10 months later have it replaced again and receive another full year after that and so on.

14. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Actually, Apple has been voted every year as having one of the best customer service in business.

Also, I have had to have phones replaced under warranty and was given a new phone that day.

As the other person said...

15. nigameash thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple provides one year of free warranty on all brand new devices. I'm getting a brand new device so why deny me one full year of warranty. It seems like apple can't guarantee it's device for even one full year.

16. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Wow, seems like a bunch of these phones have dead pixels :p, still worth a shot replacing mine.

17. /user/me macrumors 6502

You're not getting a brand new device. You're getting a warranty replacement for a defective/faulty/_______gate affected device. They're not expected to reset your warranty so that you can get more coverage than you paid for. If you want more warranty, buy applecare.

What you're demanding from apple looks a lot like this: Let's say you bought auto tires that had a one year warranty. You drove on the tires, then needed to get them replaced under the warranty. Let's say for the sake of argument, you have 50% wear at 6 months. You then expect this company to not only pay for your tires, but to also extend your original warranty because they replaced your tires, enabling you to do this again in 6 months... Why would a company allow people to get free product by automatically extending their warranty when they get their product replaced? The short answer is that they wouldn't.

What about if you borrowed money to someone under a contract that they would pay you back in a year, and they pay half of what they owe, then demand that you extend the contract because they paid you half. Would you be ok with this?

On a personal note, I've only had positive results with the 2 warranty replacements i've had to do with my iphone since it came out.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple's policy is that your replacement device will get the remaining warranty of the device it's replacing, or 90 days. Whichever is longer.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're clueless.
    You're getting a replacement for your phone.
    You're not buying a brand new phone.

20. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Buy Apple care for the phone and extend your warranty by a year, be happy you are getting a new replacment not a scratched up unit like most other company's replacements. Apple has the best customer service and warranty in industry.

21. nigameash thread starter macrumors 6502

I do plan on purchasing applecare for it. How are you so sure that I'm getting a new replacement? Apple is said to send out refurbished units as well.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I had a replacement (iPhone 4S 64GB Black) and it was NIB, but I couldn't tell if it was a refurb or not. The warranty is extended with AppleCare+ so this replacement was a hardware issue (Volume Button + was stuck), so AC+ was not used...:cool:

23. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

This is very simple folks.

With a service replacement, doesn't matter if its in the retail box or the black plastic box...

The warranty goes as follows... service replacement phones carry a 90 day warranty, or you get the rest of the remaining warranty you had on the original phone if that is greater than 90 days.

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Which is one of the main considerations why i moved from Nokia to Apple !

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

Right. More like remanufactured, as they come with a brand new exterior shell and a brand new battery. And it's shrink-wrapped the same as a totally new one. You shouldn't be able to look at it and tell that some of the parts inside may have been in a different phone before.